Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2016, 08:25 PM   #1

Default Camp Cooking & Favorite Meals

I am not sure if this is the right place to put this, let me know...
When camping, THE GALLEY IS MINE, I am the chief cook and bottle washer... Even my wife knows better than to even think about cooking...

Okay... What's your favorite food specialty you like to fix when camping?

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:14 PM   #2

I too do all the cooking when camping. That was the "deal" that I made with her 39 years ago to get her to go camping. I enjoy Dutch oven cooking. Disco chicken made with cream of mushroom soup and potatoes. I do 99% of the cooking outside.

"Skinny people are easier to kidnap...eat more pie"
PieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:15 AM   #3

Mmmm PieGuy,
Sounds good, I bet that roasted in flavor from the dutch is great... do you start out browning the chicken and or potatoes first... ??

My wife used to make a similar dish in the oven, but she used rice, added the chicken, cream of mushroom soup, and cooked until done...

Old 04-16-2016, 09:14 AM   #4

When we are out with the camper, the wife figures she is "on holiday" too!!

So, other than snacks and maybe breakfast she makes, we eat out frequently or if having dinner in the evening, it's steak or burgers I make on the grill.

LOL
Old 04-16-2016, 11:00 AM   #5

Default disco chicken recipe

3 chicken thighs, top with cheddar cheese, mix up some cream of chicken or mushroom soup, l put some fresh mushrooms on and then topped with a box of stuffing. Took an hour and a half. It was great.
If anyone wants the exact recipe I can grab it from the camper. Boy that sounds good to say as with the popup I would have to crank it up to get ANYTHING out of it.
"Skinny people are easier to kidnap...eat more pie"
PieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:04 PM   #6

Chicken pineapple kabobs!! I made these on our first camping trip with our FF last year. Marinade the chicken beforehand and freeze til going on the trip! Very filling and yummy!
Old 04-17-2016, 09:41 AM   #7

We barbecue at home, freeze the meat, and then reheat it in a small frying pan -- it takes almost no work. Most of the time, we are too tired from a long day of hiking to fix a meal from scratch.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:46 AM   #8

I asked all you to share your favorite camping food/s, and I thought I better drop a couple in....

Here is a great taco that can be made for vegans as pictured below or can be made with meat for the carnivore diet... I used a vegan burger made with roasted garlic and quinoa in a home-cooked shell, but have also made with jackfruit...

Then for topping below, I made a sweet-sour, spicy salsa-relish with fresh chopped avocado, jalapenos, tomatoes, red beans, corn, fresh ground oregano, and fresh chopped cilantro...

Like the old commercial, "Bet you can't eat just one."

In the old days I used hamburger, pulled pork, grilled fajita meat and veges, beans, and just about anything that would fit in a taco...
Attached Thumbnails
Vegan Tacos - With Avocado-Bean-Corn Salsa-Relish - 1200.jpg  

Old 04-17-2016, 01:22 PM   #9

Not much work with the kabobs. Meat marinade is usually thawed by the 2nd day, so all have to do is skewer it with the already chunked fresh pineapple and peppers - pineapple chunks nod peppers are cut at home nod put in bags/containers- just heat and serve! I made rice in microwave while kabobs are cooking on grill so everything is ready in about 5-10 minutes!
Old 04-17-2016, 06:23 PM   #10

My wife and I love to grill Jalapeno peppers stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon. Although this may not seem like a meal to most we are completely happy with these along with a few cold beers.

Oh and before you make fun of my small grill just remember "its not the size of a mans grill that counts but how he uses it"
Attached Thumbnails
12472760_1003397056420144_5340560559617755782_n.jpg  
TX Harley Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:03 AM   #11

Hmmm, That looks awful good Harley!!!

I picked up a Jalapeno grill/oven rack at Wally World last year and you can stuff an bunch and stick them in the rack stem side up... Great idea, I parked it in the trailer, but need to remember to buy some chilis next trip!!!

Old 04-18-2016, 01:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
We barbecue at home, freeze the meat, and then reheat it in a small frying pan -- it takes almost no work. Most of the time, we are too tired from a long day of hiking to fix a meal from scratch.
That trick has always worked for me profdant139, my prospecting buddy in AZ laughed at me all the time... When prospecting, I would make a few breakfast burritos and few for lunch or dinner, put them in a zip-lock bag, and through them frig or freezer. I would just take out a griddle and warm it until the outside was toasted... I love leftovers, hot dishes, and quick dishes and warming it up is great!!
Attached Thumbnails
Burro on the Griddle - 600.jpg  

Old 04-18-2016, 01:42 AM   #13

Hi profdant139,
Being out hiking all day and coming back to camp hungry and tired reminded me of my old days of hunting... The first night at camp, I would usually grill a large chuck roast and put some of the cooked meat in the frig/ice chest. The mornings were usually hectic and everyone just grabbed a cup of joe, and a couple sticks of jerky and head out to hunt. The camp got busy around 10:00 and we would make a sandwich, something to drink, and rest a bit. I would stoke the coals a bit and pull out the DO. I would put the grilled roast meat in he DO with some carrots, onions, garlic, potatoes, and whatever was handy. I would add water and dig a hole in the fire pit away from the main fire. Then, put a shovel of hot coals in the bottom of the hole and set the DO in the hole; place another shovel of coals on top, and then bury the whole thing with dirt and ashes... and go hunting. Along about sundown, everyone would drag into camp wanting a hot meal... I would carefully dig up the DO, dust it off and add water if needed, and add a layer of biscuits, cover it. I would set the DO on a bunch of coals and put a small bunch on top... give it about ten minutes and you have hot stew and dumplings browned on top....

I apologize for the long winded story, I'll keep them shorter...

Old 06-25-2016, 08:26 AM   #14

Default Being a Vegan doesn't mean eating just lettuce

Hi all,
We are into camping again, and thought I would resurrect this thread...

I read where some folks cook only outside, maybe some don't use a grill, or maybe even just eat at restaurants... We all have our own preferences... I am a vegan, love to cook, and originally from southern AZ, I love chili and Mexican style dishes... However, now living in the upper Midwest, I enjoy the great foods here as well...

Here is a recent barbeque... Homemade Vegan Burgers and Corn on the cob...

What's your favorite...
Attached Thumbnails
Vegan Burgers and Corn - 1200.jpg  

Old 06-25-2016, 08:55 AM   #15
APD

We fry bacon at home before leaving and pack it in a quart mason jar, keep it in the fridge. The jar will sorta seal itself. Then just take a few strips out and warm them for breakfast without the little camper smelling like bacon all day. Works for sausage, pork chops, ground beef, lots of things.
Lettuce, washed, will keep in a large glass container for days in the fridge or even in the cooler and still look and taste fresh.
We've never used the cook top in the camper. Usually carry a small electric skillet and crock pot. (We don't boondock, too lazy I guess.......)
My favorite is almost anything that comes outta that crock pot. MMMmmmmm!

Edit: We almost always cook outside as well. We like to use the camp fire when it's possible. So my other favorite would be anything cooked over an open fire......
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by APD View Post
We fry bacon at home before leaving and pack it in a quart mason jar, keep it in the fridge. The jar will sorta seal itself. Then just take a few strips out and warm them for breakfast without the little camper smelling like bacon all day. Works for sausage, pork chops, ground beef, lots of things.
Lettuce, washed, will keep in a large glass container for days in the fridge or even in the cooler and still look and taste fresh.
We've never used the cook top in the camper. Usually carry a small electric skillet and crock pot. (We don't boondock, too lazy I guess.......)
My favorite is almost anything that comes outta that crock pot. MMMmmmmm!

Edit: We almost always cook outside as well. We like to use the camp fire when it's possible. So my other favorite would be anything cooked over an open fire......
I understand ... I don't cook bacon anymore, but fried onions really need ventilation...

Old 06-26-2016, 01:30 PM   #17

Default Dutch Oven Pizza Casserole

Adapt the quantities to fit your size DO...I cut it in half for my little #4 DO. Oh, heck - now I've made myself hungry.

Dutch Oven Pizza Casserole

2 pound(s) Sweet Italian Sausage links, casings removed.
2 can(s) (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon(s) oregano
1 tablespoon(s) garlic, minced.
1 cup(s) Onion, chopped.
1/2 Green Bell Pepper, chopped.
2 cup(s) Mozzarella Cheese, shredded.
1 can (10 count) Biscuits
Parmesan Cheese, to taste.

Biscuits are flattened to make a thin pizza like crust. This can be made in a 13x9 pan if you don't have a Dutch oven.

In Dutch oven brown sausage, onions, garlic and green peppers until pork is no longer pink and onions and green peppers are tender. Drain off any excess fat. Add both cans of tomato sauce to sausage. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon Oregano. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over top.

Remove biscuits from can and flatten with the palm of your hand. Arrange flatten biscuits on top of the cheese. Sprinkle biscuits with Parmesan cheese to taste and then a little oregano to taste.

Bake at 375 degrees (10 briquettes on bottom and 18 on top) for about 15 to 20 minutes or until biscuits are firm and a light golden color.

Serves 4 to 5
Old 06-26-2016, 07:23 PM   #18

I better jump in here before Michelle blows my cover on what is surely the ultimate camping feast....

"add boiling water from kettle, let steep for three minutes. Enjoy. For variety tomorrow, use BBQ chips instead......" (health food ! )

gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photographics View Post
I better jump in here before Michelle blows my cover on what is surely the ultimate camping feast....

"add boiling water from kettle, let steep for three minutes. Enjoy. For variety tomorrow, use BBQ chips instead......" (health food ! )

Oh, dear Lord...I must restrain any negative comments. But doggoneit, seems to work for him. He's lucky he's a workaholic...otherwise, the horrific eating habits would have killed him long ago. And lucky he likes salads.

ON EDIT: OMGosh - THE SODIUM!
Old 06-26-2016, 09:01 PM   #20

".....salt is necessary for life !!!!"

( so you see, you need to add a "pinch of salt" to that dutch oven pizza caserole !!! )

gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote