Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2016, 10:20 AM   #1

Default Camping trip planned in August

Once again, will be taking the XT 276 and heading to the 76th Annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally August 11th - 14th in Sturgis South Dakota.

76th Annual 2016 Sturgis Motorcycle Rally | Black Hills Motor Classic | City Of Riders | Events | Concerts | News | Guide | Lodging | Webcams

The wife won't be going this time but brother in law will with his Road Glide. We went together two years ago and had a great time visiting some of the thousands of vendors, checking out motorcycles from all over the world, seeing displays and demonstrations, looking at new Rv's, and people watching too.

2 years ago, another XT276 was parked along side of us at the Tillford Gulch Campground where we stay. Tilford Gulch Campground Reserve Now - Sturgis Rally Camping A nice clean, economical, well run campground open during the Rally.

Maybe will see you if your are going. I'll be wearing a black leather Harley Davidson jacket so easy to spot!

Old 07-09-2016, 04:54 PM   #2

Hi Eagle,
I hope you guys have fun!!! I am not much into bikes anymore, used to do a lot of Enduro and a little TT Track in my younger days; but after seeing a biker T-Boned by a car... need I say more...

Enjoy it and Sturgis sounds like a lot of fun...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
Hi Eagle,
I hope you guys have fun!!! I am not much into bikes anymore, used to do a lot of Enduro and a little TT Track in my younger days; but after seeing a biker T-Boned by a car... need I say more...

Enjoy it and Sturgis sounds like a lot of fun...

Thanks, looking forward to a great time.

As for accidents on a motorcycle, I have known more people that got injured/killed in automobile accidents ... and their friends/relatives keep driving as do the survivors.

IMO ~ your 'termination date' was set the instant your were born and there is nothing on can do about.

As they say "When your number is up, it's up"

Old 07-19-2016, 08:53 AM   #4

We were out at Sturgis at their 50th Anniversary in 1990. But not on our bikes. We were traveling the country in our fifth wheel rig. Quite a spectacle to say the least...even more so nowadays. Have fun Eagle.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:52 PM   #5

My first visit to Sturgis was in 1963 on a brand new Harley Davidson Sportster .. after owning a Doodlebug scooter, a Harley Davidson Topper and a '56 Harley Davidson 74 pan head that was souped up and would outrun any other vehicle on the road at the time.

All the bikes there could be parked on the 1st half a block in front of Gunners Bar ~ and main street was not closed off !! People went to the races as back then as there were no vendors packed in Sturgis or all thru the Hills area like today.

I went in '63, '64 & '65 before the military got me mid '66 -- plus family considerations ended my "motorcycle riding" until 1981 when I purchased another new Harley Davidson Sportster....later traded for a '86 Electra Glide Liberty Edition; then a new '96 Sportster and now ride a '07 Ultra Classic.

Other than a couple of years when work constraints restricted my attendance, I've made it nearly every year starting again in '81. A huge change since my first time in 1963!

The 50th anniversary had an awesome crowd...as several years since have also been.

A story to share you may enjoy: One time when attending the Sturgis Rally, several of use were in Deadwood at the old Number 10 Saloon. It was about mid afternoon and the place was packed, as usual. When I went to the mens room, there was a line w/maybe a dozen ahead of me. Once I got in and made use of the facilities, I turned to use the sink and noticed there was only one older, white haired gentleman, thin and maybe 5'6" ready to exit. I'm over 6' and dressed in a black leather jacket, black leather chaps and black leather boots. The older gentleman quickly glanced around, noticed he and I were the only ones present and then spoke. He said" Say, can I ask you a question?" I said: "Sure" He said: "The wife and I are from out of state and this is our very first visit to the Black Hills of South Dakota. We have never seen so fuxxing many motorcycles in our life. What is going on?" I had to chuckle and told him this week was the annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally and people from all over the world arrive for the races, entertainment, vendor shopping and just party time" He nodded rather dumbfounded, said "thanks" and left.

Here are some attendance statistics.
https://sturgis.com/content/rallyinf...ance-info.html
Old 07-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #6

It was amazing when we were there. If someone bumped you they would say "excuse me", etc. No fights or hassles that we saw. A wedding on bikes with the bride's veil trailing behind as theydrove down the street with the crowd cheering. Turkeyleg Jones hawking whole turkey legs to the crowd. My husband loosing his flip flop when it stuck to the hot sticky asphalt. Good times had by all. We have never ridden (or trailered! Our bikes out there though. It's not very exciting landscape for s loooonnnnggg way from Michigan.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Thanks, looking forward to a great time.

As for accidents on a motorcycle, I have known more people that got injured/killed in automobile accidents ... and their friends/relatives keep driving as do the survivors.

IMO ~ your 'termination date' was set the instant your were born and there is nothing on can do about.

As they say "When your number is up, it's up"

You are correct that there are other ways to go and have a good friend that had a school bus pull in front of him (on a bike) a few years ago and after hours in surgery, he is up walking and doing well today... Safety gear, quick action, good doctors, and tough intestinal fortitude..

The accident happened sooo fast, I was never clear what happened, but I believe the car next to us ran the red light at hit the biker...
I suppose that my deciding to drop biking was due to a number of things, but seeing the rubber figure being drug out from the burning wreckage is still clear in my mind...

And I was at a new chapter in life anyway that no longer included bikes...

With that said, I believe that you can change the position of "your number" and don't really believe in the "IMO ~ your 'termination date' was set the instant your were born and there is nothing on can do about. " But to each his/her own beliefs...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:31 AM   #8
APD

Cool

Eagle, have you left yet?
Be careful and take some pics of the camping.

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:56 AM   #9

Leaving soon, got most everything ready to go.

Pictures........ well have taken the camera several times but usually don't take any pics as they are not my "thing" like some. I'll set the camera out to go and if remember, will shoot some pics of the campground, etc. but NONE when driving.