Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2018, 08:08 AM   #1

Default Extended Season

My Fun Finder 26RB says it is Extended Season. My question is what weather range can use I use for planning a trip this winter? This would be for a day or two stops along the way to somewhere warm.
We did have a cold night or two, upper 30's, when in Yellowstone the end of August. We were quite comfortable. But I don't feel that is quite enough experience to make a plan on how far south we need to be before we start spending nights in the RV.

RonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:22 PM   #2

It depends on where you water tanks (fresh, grey and black) are located. If they are open to the outside environment, they may freeze. If it is in the 30's you are probably OK. Once it gets into the 20's, things will free up quickly and can damage your tanks and hoses. There are ways of heating or insulating the tanks, but it can be labor intensive and/or costly.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:48 PM   #3

Thanks. That is about what I thought, below 30 can be problematic. I have a heated under belly so that makes my tanks a bit more tolerant. But I still disconnect the water supply and go on mt fresh water tank for overnight. We aren't looking for cold weather but sometimes we are getting caught with some low temperatures.
RonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:39 AM   #4

My thinking on cold weather and freezing tanks and lines. Water expands when it freezes. So it is imperative to relieve all pressure on H2O lines. Make sure no tanks are full. Maintain the heat inside (while you sleep) and open the door to the hot water tank closet.

We have done this down to the low ‘20’s without problems. I’m interested in orhers’ Experiences too, since we are starting our trip out west in <3 weeks, via the southern route (close to the I-10 corridor).
Gerald Miller is offline   Reply With Quote