Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2021, 09:22 PM   #1

Default How is climate change effecting you camping?

From drought, elevated temperatures and fires in the west to torrential rains and flooding in the east, how has this effected your camping plans? For me in Michigan, the camping season has been stalled by rain, humidity and mosquito. I hope that August dries us out, but I'm not betting on it.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 09:34 AM   #2
Site Team

Usually the northern part of the state is the go to for summer time due to cooler temps and the abundance of pine forests. But this year half of the state is on fire, 5 national forests are closed, several major routes are closed due to the fires and we set a record for high temps and the number of consecutive days with temps over 100. I won't even mention the drought. So trailer is ready, all dressed up but nowhere to go.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:27 AM   #3

The 90 - 100+ temperatures this summer have cancelled the majority of any camping outings as don't care to be out in the heat when far more comfortable to enjoy home air conditioning instead of sitting in the camper with A/C.

Regardless -- will be making the annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally again in Sturgis South Dakota that runs August 6 - 15 this year. Riding in the Black Hills it's always cooler than out on the flat lands.

BTW the climate has been changing on this earth forever. There have been several warming trends and several 'ice ages' long before humans burned a stick of wood. To believe humans 'cause' climate change is believing humans control the weather! ROFLMAO
Old 07-17-2021, 12:21 PM   #4

About 99% of climate scientists agree that human activity is changing the climate. In any case, I guess we will learn to live with it or perish.
Old 07-17-2021, 12:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
About 99% of climate scientists agree that human activity is changing the climate. In any case, I guess we will learn to live with it or perish.
But never forget that scientists tend to agree 100% with those who are funding them.

Old 07-18-2021, 10:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
But never forget that scientists tend to agree 100% with those who are funding them.

If that were the case, you would think the fossil fuel industry (i.e. gas, oil and coal) would be funding massive numbers of studies to dispute human induced climate change. After all, they have a vested interest in selling their product.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:03 AM   #7

You have a right to your opinion as do I.

Old 07-20-2021, 10:06 AM   #8

Normally I'd be using the time between camping trips to work on the camper, but it's been so damn hot here (17 days over 100 degrees) that I haven't been wanting to do anything.

I need to replace my outside shower head, check the water levels in my batteries and refill the propane tanks. None of that I want to do in this heat. Yuck.
Xerofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:34 AM   #9

Jeff, maybe do some of those chores after dark, with a headlamp? It's not ideal, but it should be cooler after sundown.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerofall View Post
Normally I'd be using the time between camping trips to work on the camper, but it's been so damn hot here (17 days over 100 degrees) that I haven't been wanting to do anything.

I need to replace my outside shower head, check the water levels in my batteries and refill the propane tanks. None of that I want to do in this heat. Yuck.
I can recall back i the 50's & 60's growing up on the farm in the midwest and spending days out in a hay field hand stacking 80# plus hay bales all day in temperatures of 90 - 100 and up to 110 degrees.

In those days, all farm tractors/equipment was open cab so no heater or air conditioner. You worked outside in the weather and didn't matter if it was over 100 degrees or 30 below zero.

Just how it was back "in the good ole days."

People have gotten soft and some won't even work these days.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:12 PM   #11

Yes, we KNOW you're better than the rest of us.

And I'm not sure if the "People have gotten soft and some won't even work these days." comment was aimed at me, but it's completely untrue and 100% OUT OF LINE.

I'm not sure what the Fu@% I did to you for you to say that in the first place.
Xerofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerofall View Post
Yes, we KNOW you're better than the rest of us.

And I'm not sure if the "People have gotten soft and some won't even work these days." comment was aimed at me, but it's completely untrue and 100% OUT OF LINE.

I'm not sure what the Fu@% I did to you for you to say that in the first place.
Clearly you took offense when none was directed at you or anyone here.

Just my observation as the comments made were in reference to how many younger ones' today are soft and do not want to work and have no work incentive.
I'm would believe you have witnessed it in all facets of business and in government employees too...those who make empty promises.

Then again, perhaps there have always been some like that but they sure seem more prevalent these days.

With no offense intended - my apologies if you interpeted it as such.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:45 PM   #13

Default Camping

We just finished a 7,000 mile trip FLA. To Minn. Then ND. To SD. To Tenn. Alabama. Green every where but ND
rockport96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:51 PM   #14

The United States Agricultural Department put out this map of the drought in South Dakota

South Dakota Response - Drought Monitor

May be green in the area you went thru but the drought is severe in some areas
Old 08-02-2021, 09:56 AM   #15
APD

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockport96 View Post
We just finished a 7,000 mile trip FLA. To Minn. Then ND. To SD. To Tenn. Alabama. Green every where but ND
Odd, we just had some friends do that very same type of trip. Almost the same route..... they're from FL and attended the Van Nationals in Minn. They toured around the Dakotas some after the Nats.

Back to topic, we're finding the crowds at the State Parks and other campgrounds are having more impact on our travelling than the summer heat. We're use to the heat (somewhat) but finding sites on weekends is tougher now days. We are planning further ahead and short tripping during the week more. Lots of folks RVing this summer.....
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:21 PM   #16

Here in Michigan, the camp sites are full all week long, but as soon as school starts, that's when sites open up, especially on the weekdays. Wife and I are planning a 10 day trip to Michigan's Upper Peninsula at the end of September.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:31 AM   #17
APD

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
Here in Michigan, the camp sites are full all week long, but as soon as school starts, that's when sites open up, especially on the weekdays. Wife and I are planning a 10 day trip to Michigan's Upper Peninsula at the end of September.
We stayed a few nights at the TeePee Campground in Mackinaw City a couple years ago. Peaceful little place. They have a bonfire on the beach every night.
Had to get a chili dog at Weinerlicious....
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 04:50 PM   #18

The 4 days of camping while attending the annual motorcycle rally in Sturgis South Dakota has been the extent of my ventures out this year ... maybe, if it cools off around these parts will make another small foray but that remains to be seen.

I don't like HOT and for the most part, it was uncomfortable hot at the rally! And I prefer not to endure HOT when I can avoid it.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:26 AM   #19

Well maybe....maybe we will get a little respite from the heat and drought conditions that have been so prevalent this summer......no moisture and very hot as some sprinkles in the forecast (if to be believed and comes true)

https://www.accuweather.com/en/sever...=pushly_manual

We will see as no indication at mid-morning.

Been to damn hot to use the camper this summer with one several day foray to the Black Hills.
Old 01-13-2022, 03:55 PM   #20

If people are so worried about climate change why are they dragging a trailer around getting 10 MPG?

FrontierCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote