Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2020, 03:14 PM   #1

Default Moccasin Creek State Park, North Ga mtns.

We are just in from a "experience" gathering mission from our campout at Moccasin Creek State Park on Lake Burton in the North Ga. Mountains.
Experiences learned,
always carry the Generator. everywhere- Park Power fails when you forget it
Fill the fresh water tank-park water fails too without electricity
Have backup dumping station plan- they don't work without power either
Light the furnace when cold front is coming in- gotta have internet to know, tho
Tie everything down before windstorms-gotta have internet to know tho, par2
Avoid sites with Persimmon and Black Walnut trees-scout em out and look up
When camped next to a creek, know its limits-they turn into rivers/flashfloods
learn the gray water drip technique
Had fun regardless, great park just not Hurricane Zeta Proof
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01840.jpg   DSC01812.jpg   DSC01801.jpg   DSC01790.jpg   DSC01788.jpg  

DSC01786.jpg  

wishuwerehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 07:47 PM   #2

Always carry at least 1/2 tank of fresh water - always.

Always carry my Honda inverter gen sets - and extra fuel - always as never know when may get delayed en-route and have to spend the night w/o access to a campground w/hookups. A night in a Walmart parking lot during 100 degree heat without A/C wouldn't be nice.

Never heard of a dump station not working without power. It's just a pipe leading to a sanitary sewer or underground septic tank.

Don't need internet to know the weather ... radio station in tow vehicle will give you the weather.

Not familiar with Persimmon or Black Walnut trees- but if storm coming in, park away from trees where branches may come down on camper or tow vehicle.

Never camped close to stream or river so not an issue.

Grey water drip technique? Please explain?

The Rule of the 7 P's: Proper Prior Preparation Prevents Pizz Poor Performance.

Old 11-01-2020, 06:43 AM   #3

"Never heard of a dump station not working without power. It's just a pipe leading to a sanitary sewer or underground septic tank." Some parks that are lower than the septic have to pump waste uphill with Elec pumps, I know Moccasin Creek and Doll Mtn in North Ga are both that way.
"Don't need internet to know the weather ... radio station in tow vehicle will give you the weather." Even our Sirrus Satellite wasn't getting a signal due to the overcast sky. The park Ranger had no radio only cell phone and like everyone else there, even he was without outside communication.
"Not familiar with Persimmon or Black Walnut trees- but if storm coming in, park away from trees where branches may come down on camper or tow vehicle." When ya have to reserve a spot months ahead of time, there may be no way to know with first scouting it out, and once there, its already paid for so gotta camp there.
"Grey water drip technique? Please explain?" Not sure have seen this mentioned in other posts and suspect its just a slow gray water drip to decrease volume without moving to dump station or using tow tank.
"The Rule of the 7 P's: Proper Prior Preparation Prevents Pizz Poor Performance." Amen to that, gotta up the prep game for sure.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:06 AM   #4

Interesting as never encountered a campground where wastewater had to be pumped.
I learned something new.
Been my experience if no radio station there is no cell phone or internet either....but strange things happen.
I've a habit of using Google earth to get a satellite view of a campground before selecting a site and making a reservation - has proved beneficial.
Have not seen anyone using the 'grey water drip' but some will do anything even when super stupid.

Have fun!
Old 11-08-2020, 11:19 AM   #5

I remember all thru my childhood we camped all around the western United States in my parents various travel trailers pulled with the family car! When I grew up, I continued camping. Started with tents, then camper shells on the pickup, then when the kids came we got us a little travel trailer. That's some of the best memories of my life. And we did it all without "Full Hookups"! No generator, no holding tanks, no dump station (we dumped the "honey pot" in the campgrounds restroom or outhouse) no air conditioning, no refrigerator (an Ice box did the trick) ,no full bath with shower, No T.V. ! no weather station, no GPS and certainly, NO internet. Yes, it CAN be done !!
mjpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:41 AM   #6

Heck, growing up on a farm decades ago ... near everyone lived without electricity, air conditioning or other such 'conveniences' so it certainly can be done.

Thing is .. with those conveniences available, their utilization make life far more comfortable.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:24 AM   #7

Agreed we can do it, better to have a heads up for no amenities rather than waking to it unexpectedly.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:47 AM   #8
APD

We drive GA 197 a lot and Moccasin Creek is on our list.

1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote