Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2011, 01:55 AM   #1

Default New X-189FDS

We transitioned from a 16' Casita to the 18'9" FDS on Thursday. After a 3.5 hr. drive from Phoenix to Winslow we have spent the past 3 hours puttering in our new home away from home.

We bought the trailer from Tom's Camperland in Surprise, AZ and were treated well. The walk-through was perhaps a little rushed, since we got stuck in Phoenix traffic and were late getting back to the dealership, so that only Matt and his mechanic were on duty and they were staying late to take care of us.

We have one question tonight: Can the TV be run without 30A service? For some reason we had the idea that it could be run from the 12V system. If not, will it run with the 30A plugged into a generator? (We might need a longer cord...)

Thanks,

Old 05-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
Site Team

Contrats on your new FF!

As for the TV, no it won't run on 12V. It should run just fine from a generator. You also don't need a full 30A outlet to run it, you could plug into any standard 15A home circuit and run the TV. You just need the 30A to run the big things like the AC.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #3

Default I hope you got a good one

My 189FDS SUCKS Matt is trying to work with me at the same Dealer that you got yours , PS It took you @ 3 hours to get there ! How about 5 1/2 hours for me , Page AZ and my Wife need to P about every 1/2 Hour Thank Goodness for the AC in my Tacoma it was @ 110 heat out there that day
Megabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #4

Hi Megabusa,
It seems we aren't that different! We're in Winslow, a couple of hours south of you and we are also towing with a Tacoma.

We have found some issues, missing screws, mis-tightened screws, improperly cut fiberglass (fortunately too long,not too short), and unsealed sections. We have documented the issues and will share them with the factory. It would not be worth the cost of the drive to get them taken care of in Phoenix.

Rather than dealing with the warranty on all these minor details, we are fixing them ourselves or having a local RV guy do the work if it is beyond me. He's also installing a receiver hitch for our bike rack and a latch for the batteries.

We've done a couple of overnights with shore power so far, but next week will be our first real outing. We'll be dry camping in a state park southeast of Flagstaff for a week. We'll be bringing a Honda EU2000 and plenty of water. Here's hoping it is a little cooler next week, so that we don't need to run the AC too much!
Old 06-24-2011, 07:09 AM   #5

Congrats on your new trailer. All you need to power your TV while boondocking is a small Inverter that you can plug into your 12volt power.
Have fun and keep cool
ArizAl
ArizAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:21 AM   #6

Thanks ArizAl. We'll give that a try - we have a small inverter used to power a laptop in my wife's Mini Cooper when she was working.

We don't intend to spend every evening watching videos, but it would be nice to be able to watch or to entertain the grand children in the evening.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
TCP

Default yup

Just check the tag on the back of the tv. It'll give a watt rating. Mine is 60 watts, which is about 5 amps at 12V. I have a small 400w inverter I use when running on batteries. Lets the kids have a bit of movie time before bed if the weather's bad or they aren't exhausted enough from being outside all day.
TCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQz
Hi Megabusa,
It seems we aren't that different! We're in Winslow, a couple of hours south of you and we are also towing with a Tacoma.

We have found some issues, missing screws, mis-tightened screws, improperly cut fiberglass (fortunately too long,not too short), and unsealed sections. We have documented the issues and will share them with the factory. It would not be worth the cost of the drive to get them taken care of in Phoenix.

Rather than dealing with the warranty on all these minor details, we are fixing them ourselves or having a local RV guy do the work if it is beyond me. He's also installing a receiver hitch for our bike rack and a latch for the batteries.

We've done a couple of overnights with shore power so far, but next week will be our first real outing. We'll be dry camping in a state park southeast of Flagstaff for a week. We'll be bringing a Honda EU2000 and plenty of water. Here's hoping it is a little cooler next week, so that we don't need to run the AC too much!
Anything South of Flag is to hot for me , Let me know how good that Honda runs your AC ? O by the way , Some of the Parks in South Utah or pretty cool at night , If you don't go to far West that is , Like St George , To Hot.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #9

We bought our 189 FDS from Tom's and have absolutely no complaints. Have only been out about 5 weekends or so, but we're planning a two week trip to WY in August.

We have made some improvements ourselves - such as running wires and cables to put the second TV mount on the wall above the bed, that and a new mattress. Otherwise, no issues.
Doylej001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doylej001
We bought our 189 FDS from Tom's and have absolutely no complaints. Have only been out about 5 weekends or so, but we're planning a two week trip to WY in August.

We have made some improvements ourselves - such as running wires and cables to put the second TV mount on the wall above the bed, that and a new mattress. Otherwise, no issues.
Befor you put that TV mount make shore the Bunk Bed can fold down , Just a little help fa-ya