Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2016, 07:21 PM   #1

Default Next trip with 3 adults, 2 kids and a new puppy!

Headed out middle of next week to a KOA east of KC. Taking our oldest daughter, her two kids and our new 3 month old puppy! I'll try to take pics and post. This will be the first time we've gone with 3 adults, third time with the "grands" nod first time with a 4 legged companion. Should be interesting in our little 19'!

Old 07-28-2016, 05:03 AM   #2

Think of all the memories you'll be creating for those grandkids! Have a great, albeit crowded, time!

Old 07-28-2016, 05:25 AM   #3

Thanks! We took the "grands" last year and as soon as it turned summer they were asking when we were taking them this year! One day, I hope to take them to a park where space between campers is more spacious! Next summer, DH wants to go to Badlands-just us and "Salvi", of course!
Old 07-28-2016, 06:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas newbie View Post
Thanks! We took the "grands" last year and as soon as it turned summer they were asking when we were taking them this year! One day, I hope to take them to a park where space between campers is more spacious! Next summer, DH wants to go to Badlands-just us and "Salvi", of course!
Been to/thru the 'Badlands' many times. Interesting what nature creates.
If you never been thru there, you will enjoy it....but it's a 'short trip' adventure IMO.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:54 AM   #5

The "Badlands" were on our list for this year and we may still make it, but home upgrades and an injured knee slowed me down a bit...

Taking the daughter & grandkids on camping trips is top-shelf Great going and hope you all have fun...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:09 AM   #6

It'll be a challenge with the puppy!
Old 07-29-2016, 11:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
The "Badlands" were on our list for this year and we may still make it, but home upgrades and an injured knee slowed me down a bit...

Taking the daughter & grandkids on camping trips is top-shelf Great going and hope you all have fun...
You will enjoy the trip: Badlands National Park - National Geographic

Badlands National Park

Established: November 10, 1978

Size: 244,300 acres

They call it The Wall. It extends for a hundred miles through the dry plains of South Dakota—a huge natural barrier ridging the landscape, sculptured into fantastic pinnacles and tortuous gullies by the forces of water. Those who pass through the upper prairie a few miles north might not even know it exists. Those who traverse the lower prairie to the south, however, can't miss it; it rises above them like a city skyline in ruins, petrified.

The Badlands Wall, much of which is preserved within the boundaries of Badlands National Park, may not conform to everyone's idea of beauty, but nobody can deny its theatricality. It's been compared to an enormous stage set—colorful, dramatic, and not quite real. Water, the main player on this stage, has been carving away at the cliffs for the past half million years or so, and it carves away an entire inch (three centimeters) or more in some places each year. But there have been other players, too. Beasts with names like titanothere and archaeotherium once roamed here; their fossilized bones can be found by the hundreds. And today the Badlands Wall serves as a backdrop for bison, pronghorn, and bighorn sheep, as well as the million human visitors who pass through the park every year.

A national monument since 1939, Badlands acquired the South (Stronghold) Unit in 1976, adding yet another dimension to the drama. This large stretch of land belongs to the Oglala, and one of their most sacred places is now preserved within it. It was here, on Stronghold Table, that the final Ghost Dance took place in 1890, just a few weeks before more than 150 Lakota were massacred at Wounded Knee, 25 miles south.

Did You Know?

Badlands National Park is considered home to one of the world's richest deposits of mammal fossil beds.

The Oglala Lakota Nation, the second-largest American Indian Reservation in the United States, co-manages half of Badlands National Park.

The Badlands average one inch of erosion per year.

Copy for this series includes excerpts from the National Geographic Guide to the National Parks of the United States, Seventh Edition, 2012, and the National Parks articles featured in "Cutting Loose" in National Geographic Traveler.

....and visiting Wall South Dakota where world famous Wall Drug is located.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:22 AM   #8
APD

We need an update on the trip! How'ditgo??

Any Pictures???
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:50 PM   #9

Trip went well. Doggie did well and was a "hit" with the staff and other campers! Pictures weren't taken, just too much going on. Hopefully next trip. Starting to plan for next summer...wanting to go to South Dakota to Mt. Rushmore area. Having hard time finding full hookups no pull thru sites that don't cost a bunch! Any suggestions?
Old 08-08-2016, 05:46 PM   #10

The Black Hills are littered with campgrounds.

During the Strugis Motorcycle Rally, I have stayed at the Tillford Gulch Campground for over 12 years ~ more basic & primitive as only electric hookups & nice showers/restrooms. Works for me and very reasonable compared to others during the Motorcycle Rally as many required rent for full week even if only spending a few days ~ typical rip off during the Rally.

The only other campground I've stayed at in the Black Hills with full hookups/pool/store/propane/shaded/non shaded spaces, etc etc. is the Rafter Bar J Ranch. Very nice campground and Good Sam member too w/excellent user reviews.

Here: Rafter J Bar Ranch Camping Resort - Hill City Campgrounds | Good Sam Club

The month of August is very busy w/Days of 76 & Sturgis Motorcycle Rally taking place. Maybe stay earlier in the year or later if you can.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:40 PM   #11

Thanks for the info. Was looking at Rafter J, think it might be in the running! Too bad that DH and I are not at retiring age yet to take advantage of lower $$ for May camping! Getting closer to it, though!
Old 08-08-2016, 07:07 PM   #12

OH, I understand. I'm retired but the wife still has several years to go so it does restrict our camping adventures.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:09 PM   #13

There is a KOA in the Badlands. And the further west you get the more National Forest Campgrounds there are. You'll be within easy driving distance of Devils Tower, Wall Drug, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #14

Looked at the KOA, but it seemed $ even with our discount. We're not into boondocking, so that's not an option at this time in our lives!
Old 08-14-2016, 12:17 PM   #15

All that AND a new puppy??? fun fun fun
Old 08-14-2016, 01:59 PM   #16

Yep! There was a HUGE motor home from Britian that parked by us the 2nd day...it "pooped" out it's traveling car!!! They shipped it to Canada and were touring the U.S. My DH Sid we were "among the Big Boys" with our 19' FF!