Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2022, 11:33 AM   #1

Default Planned camping trip possibly cancelled

Since the wife is retiring in a few months, we had planned for 2 years on taking an extended trip with the camper ...... traveling to eastern TN to visit relatives and then turn south along the coast and over to the gulf states headed to Texas and then angle back to home.

However, with the horrible fuel prices Americans are experiencing in the past 12 months that tend to increase more each month, we may leave the camper home and just pack our clothes and stay in motels to/from Tennessee and forego the southern gulf adventure.

Old 04-18-2022, 12:40 PM   #2

Eagle, when you factor in the cost of motels and food, how much more expensive is it to take the camper? Motels these days are much more expensive than RV parks. And restaurants are way more expensive than eating most of your meals in the camper. And then there is the cost of gas if you drive a car instead of taking the camper.

Maybe if you quantify the net extra cost of a camper trip, it might be worth the cost?? Plus then there is the intangible benefit of being in your own bed with your own clean sheets -- it's hard to put a price tag on that.

Old 04-18-2022, 01:02 PM   #3

The tow vehicle will get about 10 MPG .. the Jeep Cherokee gets about 25 MPG, over twice the mileage per gallon.

At 10 MPG when traveling some over 1200 miles one way at $4 per gallon is around $500 one way. And probably two overnight camper stays in the 1200+ miles would near equal a motel room. The Jeep would be under $500 round trip at same fuel cost per gallon.

As for meals.... we usually eat out anyway and only snacks in the camper or one meal so that isn't a big factor. It's vacation time for both of us.

Going to TN and back without the camper is only one motel night each way as easy to cover 600 miles in a day by car running 75 MPH or speed limit.

Anyway --- that is how it's looking right now. Then again, maybe gas will drop to $2,30 a gallon by mid-year. ROFLMAO.
Old 04-21-2022, 12:52 PM   #4

Taking off for moab on monday, be there for the week.
seismo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:59 PM   #5

Default More than just gas

Don't overlook the convenience of having your bed to sleep in, no unpacking clothes after a long day, and knowing your toilet is clean.
DogsGo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 06:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsGo2 View Post
Don't overlook the convenience of having your bed to sleep in, no unpacking clothes after a long day, and knowing your toilet is clean.
All those will be missed but gas just went up here again the other day with Regular at $4 and premium at $4.50 a gallon. Given the trade off and only two motel nites - one going and one coming, seems economically feasible.

Old 04-26-2022, 08:48 AM   #7

Angry Suv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
The tow vehicle will get about 10 MPG .. the Jeep Cherokee gets about 25 MPG, over twice the mileage per gallon.

At 10 MPG when traveling some over 1200 miles one way at $4 per gallon is around $500 one way. And probably two overnight camper stays in the 1200+ miles would near equal a motel room. The Jeep would be under $500 round trip at same fuel cost per gallon.

As for meals.... we usually eat out anyway and only snacks in the camper or one meal so that isn't a big factor. It's vacation time for both of us.

Going to TN and back without the camper is only one motel night each way as easy to cover 600 miles in a day by car running 75 MPH or speed limit.

Anyway --- that is how it's looking right now. Then again, maybe gas will drop to $2,30 a gallon by mid-year. ROFLMAO.
It really is nice to find someone else towing a tt with an SUV. I'm incredulous most SUV aren't U. They don't have much Utility except to get groceries if they can't tow an ultralight!

So, that leaves us with the Land Rover and the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I hope manufacturers someday soon realize not everyone wants a pick-up truck.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsGo2 View Post
It really is nice to find someone else towing a tt with an SUV. I'm incredulous most SUV aren't U. They don't have much Utility except to get groceries if they can't tow an ultralight!

So, that leaves us with the Land Rover and the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I hope manufacturers someday soon realize not everyone wants a pick-up truck.
I'm afraid you misread my comment. I tow with a 6.4 Hemi 2500 Ram truck. I do NOT tow with the Jeep Trailhawk and no way would it be able to pull my camper as the max tow weight of the Jeep is only 2,000 lbs.

The Jeep Cheriokee Trail Hawk was purchased for the wife to drive as it's a beast for going thru the winter snow and summer pot holes considering the horrific condition and maintenance of the streets in this town. Also, when traveling the state during the winter - never know when a sudden winter storm will set in.
Old 04-26-2022, 01:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
I'm afraid you misread my comment. I tow with a 6.4 Hemi 2500 Ram truck. I do NOT tow with the Jeep Trailhawk and no way would it be able to pull my camper as the max tow weight of the Jeep is only 2,000 lbs.

The Jeep Cheriokee Trail Hawk was purchased for the wife to drive as it's a beast for going thru the winter snow and summer pot holes considering the horrific condition and maintenance of the streets in this town. Also, when traveling the state during the winter - never know when a sudden winter storm will set in.
I see. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Our Jeep can tow 7,200# but as I said, that's a rarity.
Old 04-26-2022, 01:48 PM   #10

No problem.
The Trail Hawk comes with a factory hitch but with a 1" hitch receptacle.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:11 PM   #11

Sadly, no matter what tow vehicle you use, the typical mileage will always be between 9 and 12 mpg when towing a travel trailer. My Highlander get around 10 to 11 mpg towing my FF 189FBR. Can't argue with physics.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 09:25 AM   #12
APD

Talking

Eastern Tennessee is one of our favorite places. We just returned from a few days at Parksville Lake and then four nights at Norris Dam SP. The Greeneville area is very nice as well. Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are a little to crowded for our liking. We go up to Standing Stone SP every once in a while for the world class marble shooting....
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:33 PM   #13

With gas over $4.50 a gallon and no relief in the near future, the camper will relax at home and drive the Jeep to Tennessee and back.

If fuel prices continue to rise near or over the $5 per gallon price - may not utilize the camper at all this year.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:18 AM   #14

Rising fuel costs have certainly become a major factor in planning our camping trips this season! We’re fortunate to have a multitude of camping opportunities within a radius of 100 miles from home. If I stay off the Interstate (i.e. keep my road speed at 55mph or less), I get around 15mpg with my RAM 2500 CTD. $70-$75 or less, if we stay within the 100 mile radius, is doable.
We’ve decided that driving 7 or 8 hours to a camping venue with attributes similar to ones much closer to home was not the best way for us to camp. Granted, an extended trip, has the allure of visiting new and yet to be experienced places but for a “short, 3-5 day stay/get-away” closer is better! My wife and I were recently discussing just how much of an effect this current inflationary period will have on camping this Summer. I’m suspecting that campsites will be less crowded and a bit more sedate with many of the campers being of the “retired with money to spend” ilk. We’ll see.

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 03:35 PM   #15

RipVan- at 15 mpg, your Ram must be a diesel. I also hope this season will be less crowded.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 07:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
RipVan- at 15 mpg, your Ram must be a diesel. I also hope this season will be less crowded.
Yup. ‘04 5.9 Cummins pre-EPA “accoutrements” 😎. Definitely a dying (if not already dead) breed. My first and likely my last truck .

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote