Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2020, 07:04 PM   #1
APD

Talking Social Distance camping

Well.... we're going camping. Leaving out Monday (maybe Sunday)
A little campground about 100 miles from us but still in North GA. With full hookups so we can maintain our distance (the bathhouse is closed anyway). It's our favorite spot, we've been there many, many times.
We're gonna set-up by the pond, gonna stay a week and do some grillin', chillin' and a little fishin'. I am so looking forward to the campfire and the crickets.

Alan

1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:18 AM   #2

Which campground you headed to? I live in TN, my sister in S. GA so we sometimes look for places we can meet up half-way.

runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:05 PM   #3
APD

Long Ridge Campground. Just outside Hiawassee GA. https://www.longridgecampground.com/
It's small, friendly and very nice. Tucked up into the top of a hollow with trees and a pond. The owners are really the greatest. Tell 'em Alan and Penny sent ya.

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 04-28-2020, 05:57 AM   #4

APD, is that short for Atl. Police, say it and had to ask, I am ex/retired LEO myself, I looked at Lone Ridge Campground, looks really nice, is there a list of camp grounds like this in Ga. I have been limited to COE grounds and like the private sites better, Thanks
wishuwerehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:12 AM   #5
APD

No APD is my initials. Not a retired LEO but I have rode a few miles in a police car, couldn't see out very well from back there..
LOL

Long Ridge is very quiet and serene place. No pool, no playground just the NGA woods. Not everyone's cup of tea but we make our own "peaceful" fun so it suits us.
I'm not aware of a decent listing of private CG's in GA. I usually look on Google maps for a place I wanna go then choose the "nearby" button to look for a campground that's close by.
Besides Long Ridge we like Country Oaks near St Mary's on the other end of the state. And there's lot's in between.
We are lucky to live in Georgia with some of the most beautiful state parks in the world and a great website to help choose.
We are "shunpikers" and avoid interstate's like a virus. We love us some backroads and that affects our camping choices and our likes and dislikes.

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 04-29-2020, 01:09 PM   #6
APD

Talking

Raining here....
That rain on the camper roof is telling me it's time for a nice little nappy..
For those who are not camping, here's the next best:
Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 05-05-2020, 07:20 AM   #7
APD

Talking

We decided to camp a ways up the hollar from the pond. It was a peaceful and relaxing week in the mountains.....

1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 05-28-2020, 10:31 AM   #8
APD

We're going again. This Sunday we're going to a state park nearby (about 100 miles) for three days or so. Was really surprised at the booking page! The state parks here are doing a booming business. The site we wanted only had three nights available!
Unfortunately, we are taking the campervan this trip as I wanted to try out a new shower. But we are gonna scout for the next FF trip while we're in the mountains.

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 06-17-2020, 01:28 PM   #9

Leaving in the morning for Starvation Res. in eastern utah.. Looking forward to it. It's our first trip this year.
seismo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:11 PM   #10
APD

Talking

Cool Seismo! We're going again too!
But not until next month. The week after the Fourth we're heading up to Table Rock in SC for a few days. Might luck up on a little mountain apple shine while we're in the hills.
Wish we were closer to Utah. Mighty pretty out there......

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 06-18-2020, 05:22 PM   #11

Planning a trip or maybe two in July. Possibles are Teddy Roosevelt National Park in western North Dakota by Medora ND and over the the Custer National Battleground to look around as never been there.......also a stop at Devils Towers.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:17 AM   #12

The "Social Distancing" issue (as well as other COVID-19 aspects) has had little impact on our current camping trip. The restrooms are open for use (except for shower facilities) and are being cleaned twice a day by the campground manager. Signs are posted requiring the use of face masks (if older than are 5) when more than one person is in the restroom. It's a simple requirement and have no problem complying with it and it seems like most everyone else is in compliance too! I'll admit that I do miss the casual chatting that used to be a regular part of being out in public (especially while at campgrounds). Sure we can still do it but the masks and 6+ feet of SD suck some the enjoyment out of it. Nevertheless I try to comply. It's the right thing to do!

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:36 AM   #13

Completed the trip to Medora ND & Teddy Roosevelt National Park, to the Custer Battleground just south of Hardin Wyoming and into the Black Hills of South Dakota near the end of the 80th Annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.

The ONLY place masks were mandated were in Wyoming when entering a store...no place else. Overall on the trip and places stayed/stopped at, less than 10% of the people wore masks and most had the appearance of east/west coast tourists* (?)

*Tourists are easy to spot ... they are totally confused, don't know where they are going, or where they have been and often no idea where they are either.

And that is why I'm just a traveler ... not a tourist! LOL
Old 09-11-2020, 07:54 AM   #14
APD

Great trips!
Our trip to Table Rock was great as well. We're going again in a few days to SD camp. Haven't decided just where yet but someplace within a couple hundred miles. Probably Tennessee.
Then in October we're heading up to Cherokee NC for a little gathering of about 40 or 50 of our fellow vanners at a little CG. There will be guidelines in place so we'll have to see how that pans out.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 09-14-2020, 07:32 AM   #15

The only time ever used 'campground showers/rest rooms' was the years when tent camping.
Since purchasing the camper, have NEVER ONCE used those campground facilities. We always use the bath/shower in the camper. I laugh when seeing a line waiting outside a campground shower facility when those people could use the one they hauled behind their tow vehicle. :-I
Old 09-27-2020, 03:52 PM   #16
APD

Talking

We're heading out this Thursday for Cherokee NC for a few days, then just below Murphy NC for a few days and then back into north GA to our little spot in Hiawassee for a few more days. Gonna meet up with some friends for a moonshine tasting, maybe do some gem mining and have a pot luck supper. Might even take a train ride......
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 09-27-2020, 04:13 PM   #17

As long as the weather stays above freezing ... have one more outing planned to the Missouri River area in the N.E. corner of Nebraska in about 2 weeks.

This late in the camping season, don't figure there will be any problem getting a nice campsite with a good view since many have already winterized their units and filled the winter storage areas.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:56 AM   #18

We have a trip to Moccasin Creek at Lake Burton late October/Halloween for a leaf looking trip and will be camped next to the trout stream for over 65 fishers only. One evening dinner at Laprade's Fish Camp and will do some moonshine tasting, even if I have to import it via Fun Finder express.
Attached Thumbnails
creek pic.JPG  
wishuwerehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:37 PM   #19
APD

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishuwerehere View Post
We have a trip to Moccasin Creek at Lake Burton late October/Halloween for a leaf looking trip and will be camped next to the trout stream for over 65 fishers only. One evening dinner at Laprade's Fish Camp and will do some moonshine tasting, even if I have to import it via Fun Finder express.
Denny, we really like running GA197 up to the mountains. Pretty ride in the fall....
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 09-29-2020, 06:23 AM   #20

Anyone make it to the Buffalo Roundup in Custer State Park?

Never mind the political stuff.....check the video of the actual buffalo roundup.

https://www.citizenfreepress.com/bre...to-of-the-day/