Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2017, 10:35 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
Great photo John. Very clear and I like the spread wing sho! You have nice camera equipment. We have been getting out in the sun a lot lately. Walking a lot and taking pictures.
Just curious what kind of mileage you get. Gas or diesel? As you probably noticed we are test driving and checking out s new tv. Thanks.
I would post pictures here of our rambles but I can't figure out how. I did put a photo of the tv in my album.
Thank you for the kind words...
Mileage... Well, Let's start with your questions...

We have a Chevy 1/2 ton with the MaxTow package... 10,000#, the large gas (6.2 L @ 425 hp) and the 6 spd Allison Automatic with Tow mode and manual over-ride. With the wing up, and the trailer loaded near the max of 6,000#, on normal highway, and a speed between 60 and 65, we average between 10 and 12 mpg... Not fantastic, but it could be considerably worse...

I believe that in 2015, the Chevy came out with the 8 spd. Allison, which should get better mileage... I am an old Chevy guy and have had good luck with them, but other folks have their favorites and that's all okay with me... Everyone has their own likes and dislikes...

We are probably going to stay mostly in MN this year (but you can never tell); I want to get some more wildlife shots... Wolf, bear, coyote, fox, bobcat, lynx, buffalo, elk, deer, the North-shore, Waterfalls, the Aurora Borealis, and some of the cool stuff up here... old barns, fences, etc... Anyway, my list is long and probably difficult...

Hope you guys can get over this way this year, we are to see some of the south shore, but I guess, we'll see what happens...

Here is another pair of eagles that were closer to home, that I took a pic of yesterday... More trees, but, I took them anyway...
Attached Thumbnails
2 Eagles - Isanti way Home From SZ Bog - 1200 - 02-16-17.jpg  

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:20 AM   #62

Hey, eagles and trees go together. I love seeing them all ways. Such huge magnificent birds. Northern Minnesota is rich with wildlife. Fewer people helps with that. We have a fair share here too but illusive except for the deer, Turkish and some eagles. Since we are usually out there with the three dogs we miss a lot. They like to rummage around.
Re: the mileage. Probably like comparing apples to oranges. But I think there was a thread on here where someone said that everyone generally hovers around the 11 mile per gallon mark on here. I believe we do too with our little rig. Back in 1990 we also got about that with the Big fifth wheel and the one ton diesel dually. But motorhomes got 5-6!!! So we felt fortunate.

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:02 AM   #63

Mihigantraveler"
...Re: the mileage. Probably like comparing apples to oranges. But I think there was a thread on here where someone said that everyone generally hovers around the 11 mile per gallon mark on here. I believe we do too with our little rig. Back in 1990 we also got about that with the Big fifth wheel and the one ton diesel dually. But motorhomes got 5-6!!! So we felt fortunate.
"

The wing did a solid 3 mpg improvement on mileage, but because of the slant on the front of the FF, the wing to trailer distance (W to T-D) suffers... we do not suffer from the big rigs and wind whipping us around as much as without, but the W to T-D should not exceed about 6 ft. and at the top leading edge of the trailer, we are closer to 7 ft. Overall, it is an improvement and keeps us on the higher side of 10 mpg for the most part and we frequently run as much as 14 and 16, but not as an average.

The TV was an accident; I was looking for a 3/4 ton when we saw this one at the Chevy Dealer in Princeton. The boss wanted me to look it over and drive it... The truck was only 2 years old, with just 20K miles on it... we (the dealership and us) finally came to a deal and we took it home...

One thing about it, the truck runs like a Vett and will pull the trailer like it's not back there, but it loves, I mean Loves, to drink gas... If you step on the gas, you can hit 80 - 90 in seconds, loaded or unloaded, but your mileage goes into mud...

The camper adds a vortex at the rear and so does the trailer... Oh well, it is what it is and I got 14.8 mpg towing the FF back from Princeton a few days ago...

Good luck to you guys and hope to see y'all one of these days...

Old 02-18-2017, 08:59 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
Mihigantraveler"
...Re: the mileage. Probably like comparing apples to oranges. But I think there was a thread on here where someone said that everyone generally hovers around the 11 mile per gallon mark on here. I believe we do too with our little rig. Back in 1990 we also got about that with the Big fifth wheel and the one ton diesel dually. But motorhomes got 5-6!!! So we felt fortunate.
"

The wing did a solid 3 mpg improvement on mileage, but because of the slant on the front of the FF, the wing to trailer distance (W to T-D) suffers... we do not suffer from the big rigs and wind whipping us around as much as without, but the W to T-D should not exceed about 6 ft. and at the top leading edge of the trailer, we are closer to 7 ft. Overall, it is an improvement and keeps us on the higher side of 10 mpg for the most part and we frequently run as much as 14 and 16, but not as an average.

The TV was an accident; I was looking for a 3/4 ton when we saw this one at the Chevy Dealer in Princeton. The boss wanted me to look it over and drive it... The truck was only 2 years old, with just 20K miles on it... we (the dealership and us) finally came to a deal and we took it home...

One thing about it, the truck runs like a Vett and will pull the trailer like it's not back there, but it loves, I mean Loves, to drink gas... If you step on the gas, you can hit 80 - 90 in seconds, loaded or unloaded, but your mileage goes into mud...

The camper adds a vortex at the rear and so does the trailer... Oh well, it is what it is and I got 14.8 mpg towing the FF back from Princeton a few days ago...

Good luck to you guys and hope to see y'all one of these days...
I was sure you had a photo on here but I can't find it. Didn't you have a gallery on here?
What is a wing? Top of cab? Sorry, brain dead this am.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:29 PM   #65

Hi Mich,
Yep on the Gallery and Yep on the pic... There are two pics that show the "Air Deflector" (Wing) on the top of and way back on the TV camper shell, in the tow position; and one pic shows it down for driving without the trailer...

http://www.funfinderclub.com/forums/...-albums19.html

Here are a few more pics - closer for you. The Air Deflector I have is no longer being manufactured and it was originally made for towing a 5th wheel... I bought it off Craig's List, modified it, had it painted to match the truck, and then built a base that would fit my truck top...
Attached Thumbnails
Air Deflector - Front View -- 1200.jpg   Air Deflector - Rear View -- 1200.jpg   Air Deflector - Side View -- 1200.jpg   Air Deflector - Side View Down -- 1200.jpg  

Old 02-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #66

Oh cool. I have never seen one of those. Beautiful blue! Maybe the best idea would be a really tall cap? Lol!! The top would be the height of the cap and then swoop up higher st the back. Not very practical though.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:33 AM   #67

This is a disgrace. Are they the exception? Probably not. A factory tour could tell us s lot about an RV.

https://youtu.be/jXMJrRQ3SVk
Old 02-19-2017, 04:06 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
This is a disgrace. Are they the exception? Probably not. A factory tour could tell us s lot about an RV.

https://youtu.be/jXMJrRQ3SVk
Not much different than how motor vehicles are put together with the exception more robotics used in motor vehicle assembly.

Assembly line construction was first used in the firearms industry and adopted by Henry Ford in building ford cars.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Not much different than how motor vehicles are put together with the exception more robotics used in motor vehicle assembly.

Assembly line construction was first used in the firearms industry and adopted by Henry Ford in building ford cars.
Sorry Eagle, I must disagree. The auto companies do not have their workers working like the people in this video. I'm in the car capital of the world, remember. First of all they heave unions. And they have safety records to maintain. This video shows total disregard for the safety of the company's workers. Yes, assembly lines are used to build things. But what we see here is blatant disregard for the workers safety and well being as well as the quality of their products. Try this in an auto factory and there would be a massive walk out with OSHA leading the charge. Did you actually watch the video?
Old 02-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #70

Yup, watched the video ~ but wasn't looking at/for "safety" issues ~~ only the method of assembly from various components.

I've never worked in a mfg plant but have visited facilities that make manufactured homes where the 'assembly methods of various components' are quite similar but not the speed shown in the video so perhaps the video had been quickened in places ??

Logically, OSHA inspectors visit all mfg. plants.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:06 AM   #71

Here is another RV plant tour video for comparison.
https://youtu.be/R0ooDg56I4U