Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Club Community Forums > Camping, Road Trips and Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
Hmmm...let's see 761 miles, 11 hours, 17 min. From here to there.
Not very feasible. 1500 miles of gas. No way to bring stuff to sell. Nope, not in the cards.
Are you planning on Arizona again? But without the rig? I still think we should meet up in the UP to camp in the summer- after black fly season!!
OUCH!!! I had not calculated it and just didn't realize it was that far... Goodness, 761 mi. one-way... and no room to carry stuff to sell... ... For Annandale, I have the pick-up space plus either trailer provides more space for items than I want to set up...

For the trip to AZ... I need my hotel on wheels whether it is the small CC or the FF and the tow to and back from Arizona is a $$ hog anyway, depending on the route, the distance averages a little over 2,000 miles one way... Then gas at roughly $2.25/gal (Which is a hopeful figure) and depending on the west winds, I'll hope for 10mpg will run... so... give or take ~$900 for fuel, depending on the gas prices :rolleyes

I was thinking of taking the cargo conversion to AZ to save a couple bucks on gas, but will most likely take the FF, it doesn't cost too much more to pull and for 4 - 6 weeks total, I think the comfort and space of the larger FF will outweigh the extra cost... ... Plus, it will be easier to sleep in during the drive... I'd have to fold the bed up in the CC to haul the ATV... Leaving almost no space ... A single axle would require a bit forward center loading and that leaves about 2 feet for for access to the galley...

After all that figuring, we'll get together on the UP trip as time draws closer and see what we all work out...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
OUCH!!! I had not calculated it and just didn't realize it was that far... Goodness, 761 mi. one-way... and no room to carry stuff to sell... ... For Annandale, I have the pick-up space plus either trailer provides more space for items than I want to set up...

For the trip to AZ... I need my hotel on wheels whether it is the small CC or the FF and the tow to and back from Arizona is a $$ hog anyway, depending on the route, the distance averages a little over 2,000 miles one way... Then gas at roughly $2.25/gal (Which is a hopeful figure) and depending on the west winds, I'll hope for 10mpg will run... so... give or take ~$900 for fuel, depending on the gas prices :rolleyes

I was thinking of taking the cargo conversion to AZ to save a couple bucks on gas, but will most likely take the FF, it doesn't cost too much more to pull and for 4 - 6 weeks total, I think the comfort and space of the larger FF will outweigh the extra cost... ... Plus, it will be easier to sleep in during the drive... I'd have to fold the bed up in the CC to haul the ATV... Leaving almost no space ... A single axle would require a bit forward center loading and that leaves about 2 feet for for access to the galley...

After all that figuring, we'll get together on the UP trip as time draws closer and see what we all work out...
Oh, did they give you an eta on the FF? It will be so nice to know you have a good roof over your head on the trip. I would love to find some warmth for a week or a month this winter but it's not in the cards. Especially after reading what your gas bill will be! Too many pressing needs around here.

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #23

Wink

Hi Mich...
Just finished cleaning the driveway and deck... we got between 4 and 5 inches of snow last night, and this morning... How did you guys do; east of the lake I suppose you needed a bulldozer to clean your driveway...

The Arizona trip mileage depends an awful lot on the weather, especially the wind! The prevailing wind is from west to east; I made the trip from here to Arizona in late 2013 and the winds across the Texas Panhandle and New Mexico were brutal... We went through some areas there, while towing the CC, and had to keep the old Blazer in 2nd gear for miles at 30 - 40 mph and occasional 3rd gear when heading downhill and when a hill would block the wind, and good luck if we got 7 mpg ... BRUTAL... The old Blazer had a 350 CI engine and plenty of power, but the headwind had to be at least 40 mph with gusts up to 60... even the big trucks were traveling at a snail's pace... Remember the 55 mph Redline... if we made 30 mph and the wind hit us at 40 to 60 mph, we pushed that Redline up to 70 - 90+ mph... What a block to push!!!

I now try to watch the weather reports and hope to catch a minimal head wind... Hopefully...

BUT, it is all worth while... the weather is generally warm and sunny, prospecting is enjoyable, and friends and family are great...

Old 12-11-2016, 01:26 PM   #24

It started snowing here yesterday about 10 AM and let up this morning around noon. It's a dry, light fluffy snow with about 5-6" on the ground.

The clouds left around 1:30 PM and have blue sky with sunshine now and temp about 10 degrees w/light breeze of only 4 MPH.

Snow flurries in the forecast around noon tomorrow too.

Everything is blanketed in a beautiful white.

I"m not clearing the sidewalk or driveway until tomorrow afternoon since it might snow tomorrow before that.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:53 PM   #25

Hi John. Well we're getting more snow. I posted a couple of photos from this morning on my gallery just now. We have about 10". It's still snowing. Twenty degrees all day so we keep it. Kalkaska northeast of us got 24" in places. Lake effect snow is unpredictable. It occurs when the temperature at 5000 ft. Hits 27 degrees lower than the lake temperature down below. It's fluffy stuff.
Any trailer can be a bear in the wind, they are pretty much just big sails aren't they, or billboards! I was looking at round trip fares from Traverse City up here to Ft, Myers Florida. $334, not bad. Our neighbor winters down there. He has a spare room. Hmmmm... Paul can stay here with the animals and snowmobile to his hearts content. (Just kidding)
We don't snowblower the drive very often. We get in and out fine. Circle drive and four wheel drive. It's prettier when we don't too.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
It started snowing here yesterday about 10 AM and let up this morning around noon. It's a dry, light fluffy snow with about 5-6" on the ground.

The clouds left around 1:30 PM and have blue sky with sunshine now and temp about 10 degrees w/light breeze of only 4 MPH.

Snow flurries in the forecast around noon tomorrow too.

Everything is blanketed in a beautiful white.

I"m not clearing the sidewalk or driveway until tomorrow afternoon since it might snow tomorrow before that.
Yep, Yep, About the same here with a little less snow and it warmed up to 20, but the clouds are back and it is snowing again. The forecast says snow flurries today, and snow Monday & Tuesday... However, it is all pretty and white OUTSIDE...

Old 12-11-2016, 02:13 PM   #27
APD

The cooler winter weather has finally brought us a little RAIN!! Just not enough, we really need more.
We are in a terrible drought here in my part of the SE and the fire danger is extreme.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:06 PM   #28

We had snow here the other day...a whoppin' 1/4" if that! LOL! I love snow, just don't like driving in it if there is ice underneath!❄️❄️❄️
Old 12-12-2016, 06:40 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by APD View Post
The cooler winter weather has finally brought us a little RAIN!! Just not enough, we really need more.
We are in a terrible drought here in my part of the SE and the fire danger is extreme.
I've been following the TN fires. Such a terrible tragedy started by two punk kids. So many dead, injured and displaced. Over a hundred animals being cared for that no one has claimed. We live in a National Forest and fire is a constant worry. But we don't have mountains like down there. I hope you get that good old Georgia rain soon!
Old 12-12-2016, 06:56 AM   #30

I'll take snow over sub zero temperatures any day. We only received a few light flurries Sunday so today with a clear sky, will clear the drive/sidewalk even tho the temp is -14 degrees.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:18 AM   #31

Winter Bird Photography keeps me entertained.

Hobie i9s kayak
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:23 AM   #32

Fourteen below!!! No,no,no... to heck with the driveway. They say highs of 13 degrees here Wednesday and Thursday. Stop sending this!!! More snow here today. 26 degrees! Balmy!
Old 12-12-2016, 08:24 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafn8td View Post
Winter Bird Photography keeps me entertained.

Great photos!! You are a pro!!!
Old 12-12-2016, 10:07 AM   #34

Wow... Beautiful photos R. McDaniel!!!,
Did the bird water have a heater in it... We have been talking about getting one??

Old 12-12-2016, 10:44 AM   #35

Quote:
Great photos!! You are a pro!!!
Aww shucks, thanks. Far from a pro though. It's taken me a long time to get to this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
Wow... Beautiful photos R. McDaniel!!!,
Did the bird water have a heater in it... We have been talking about getting one??
Yes, you can pick one up at most feed stores that carries bird food. I've been told that it is harder for birds to find water than food during the winter where it freezes hard...i.e. MN. I don't know if it's true or not, but I always find birds where there is open water.
I use something like this because I have the metal bird bath. https://www.amazon.com/9000-Eliminat.../dp/B0006U2FJ8
Hobie i9s kayak
Old 12-12-2016, 10:57 AM   #36

John, if you get down south of the cities and want to go on a hike, visit Black Dog power facility. If the river is frozen it will have some open areas because of the cooling towers discharging into the MN River. A cold day with a little wind and sunshine (like today) is perfect hunting weather for the Eagles. They are great to watch.
Hobie i9s kayak
Old 12-12-2016, 02:12 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafn8td View Post
Aww shucks, thanks. Far from a pro though. It's taken me a long time to get to this point.

Yes, you can pick one up at most feed stores that carries bird food. I've been told that it is harder for birds to find water than food during the winter where it freezes hard...i.e. MN. I don't know if it's true or not, but I always find birds where there is open water.
I use something like this because I have the metal bird bath. https://www.amazon.com/9000-Eliminat.../dp/B0006U2FJ8
We have one just like that. It worked very well downstate. Unfortunately it is in a box somewhere up in the garage rafters with tons of yard sale stuff piled in front of it. We have a heated water bowl for Buster the feral cat who comes for food.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:34 PM   #38

Quote:
Fourteen below!!! No,no,no... to heck with the driveway. They say highs of 13 degrees here Wednesday and Thursday. Stop sending this!!! More snow here today. 26 degrees! Balmy!

We got some more snow late this AM ~ AFTER I had cleared the driveway and sidewalk naturally. Big flakes, lite and fluffy with hardly any breeze so all I had to do was fire up the Sthil blower/vac and blow it away.

It warmed up some too as only -13 this AM.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:40 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
We got some more snow late this AM ~ AFTER I had cleared the driveway and sidewalk naturally. Big flakes, lite and fluffy with hardly any breeze so all I had to do was fire up the Sthil blower/vac and blow it away.

It warmed up some too as only -13 this AM.

Ugh! I love the snow, hate the cold!!
Old 12-12-2016, 04:45 PM   #40

Quote:
Ugh! I love the snow, hate the cold!!
Evening news just reported this winter is running 10 to 30 degrees COLDER than normal.

No idea where Al Gores "global warming scare" has gone.