Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2013, 06:10 AM   #1

Default leaking rear window xt-245

So used my camper this weekend and found some brown on rear windows will. I looked possibly leaking around window. Seam for window trim is on top. Ugh great design.

There are a ton of caulking available out there anyone have a suggestion on type or make of it please. Hope I am catching it early. Hate the thought of water damage possibly..

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

PattyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #2

Default Leaky window

Hi,
I am wrapping up my 1st full camping season with our new 2008 funfinder 189fbs. Did you figure out to fix your leak? My front window and front slider showed some miner leaks with brown stains on window and ledge, and part of our bed sheets and is leaving a smell we don't like.

Thanks,
Dave in Michigan

bora2maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #3

I'm resealing everything on my camper and I been using a exterior window/door silicone that is made to be pretty flexible and is rain ready in 30minutes. It starts setting pretty quickly so it can be hard to work with. I forgot the brand but I picked it up at home depot. $9 a tube but Id rather do it right then have problems later.
looking4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #4

Default Sealing Window

Thanks for the reply!
Are you sealing all your windows because they all leak, or doing it because one leaked.... so you are just simply sealing everything? The stuff at Home Depot was white I assume? A silicone? Do you remember the name now? Did you carefully remove what little
caulking was on the windows before applying the new stuff?

Thanks,
Dave

P.S. Anyone else here have these issues with the windows, please reply and give your "Solution" to this problem....THANKS!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #5

I redid the seals on both right hand side windows on my 06 189FD this summer. I pulled each window out to inspect for any water damage to the wall itself (found none) and used butyl tape to seal between the window and the trailer - from what I understand it's whats used on boats to seal portholes and windows. I then ran a bead of caulk around the outside to pretty it up. I don't think I'll ever need to worry about them leaking again!

It was pretty easy to do, and after watching a youtube video I was pretty confident in doing it myself. Here's the video I found - it's really as easy as it looks in the video.

One thing I did on top was use some caulking remover to soften and get rid of any old caulking residue. All in all it took about 3 hrs to do, with an hr of actual work (rest was letting the caulking remover do its work whilst having a beer). I'll do the remaining windows next season!
Offspring22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #6

I don't recommend the use of silicone sealants... While they have their uses, they also have a major drawback. If you use one, and it ever leaks again, you'll be hard put to get it resealed. The silicone in them will permeate the substrate (the filon panel and the metal frame) and will prevent any other caulking effort from sticking. That's why all the sealants made for RVs and boats do not contain silicone; most are butyl rubber with some having some additional additives (not silicone) to make them "better" than the other brand (mostly advertising gimmicks, but, some additives, UV stabilizers, anti-fungus, etc. are useful). If they ever leak, they don't leave a residue that prevents a re-caulking from sticking to the surfaces.

Silicone actually migrates...moves from the initial point of application (that's a result of it being slippery - it won't stay where you put it). There are studies showing that within hours of application on hinge, for example, silicone can be found on many surfaces in the area, many feet away. That "feature" is one of the reasons I stay away from most everything, now, that contains silicone, especially the sprays. If, for example, you need a spray lubricant, Teflon is much better at staying where you want it and not contaminating the area around where you spray it.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #7

Default Re: Sealing Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by bora2maui
Thanks for the reply!
Are you sealing all your windows because they all leak, or doing it because one leaked.... so you are just simply sealing everything? The stuff at Home Depot was white I assume? A silicone? Do you remember the name now? Did you carefully remove what little
caulking was on the windows before applying the new stuff?

Thanks,
Dave
Yes window leaks and other repairs. If you look in the maintenance section for a post called "lots of water damage in ceiling" you will see what I'm doing. It is white silicone that I am using, but it is all at my parents place. So I don't know the name off the top of my head. On the tube I believe it did says "extra flex". Silicone was used before so I removed everything that I could. It was harder to get off the siding then it was the windows. If I had to redo it I possibly might use the 3 hour rain ready type. The 30min rain ready sets quick and if you try to smooth it out to late it doesn't look that good but its done now and I'm not changing it. hope this helps some.
looking4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #8

Default Window Leaks

Thanks for the response!
I took your advice and also viewed the "You Tube" attached video.
Excellent! Over the weekend I took care of the front big window. I went to a local Camping World and bought Budyl Tape and a Tube of "ProFlexRV" by Geocel. It's a flexible sealant and I bought in bright white which finished the outside very nicely! It rained last night and this morning, I went inside and she was "BONE-DRY"....Thank You!
Over the next couple days I will handle my 2nd window which is on the entry side large front slider. The rest of the windows are good for now.

Dave in Michigan
2008 Funfinder X189FBS