Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-15-2024, 06:42 AM   #1

Default Bike rack on bumper?

Hello. We are the proud new owners of a new to us 2007 Funfinder X210. We are excited to be part of this group. We are preparing to go on a trip and wondering if the bumper on our model is strong enough to hold a bike holder with two mountain bikest? We don't have a manual so have no idea what the manufacturer would say. I have saw bolt on receiver hitches for rear bumpers but had read that many bumpers can't handle much weight. I found a post of someone attaching a hidden hitch directly to the frame which in the future I would like to do. But that is a project for another time. Thank all in advance for any input.

Beamer25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 12:26 PM   #2
APD

Talking

My suggestion would be a front rack. See video...there are also other manufacturers. Safer and cleaner....
Opinions may vary.

1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 01:14 PM   #3

Thanks. That looks like a good option. I will keep that in mind.
Old 03-16-2024, 11:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer25 View Post
Hello. We are the proud new owners of a new to us 2007 Funfinder X210. We are excited to be part of this group. We are preparing to go on a trip and wondering if the bumper on our model is strong enough to hold a bike holder with two mountain bikest? We don't have a manual so have no idea what the manufacturer would say. I have saw bolt on receiver hitches for rear bumpers but had read that many bumpers can't handle much weight. I found a post of someone attaching a hidden hitch directly to the frame which in the future I would like to do. But that is a project for another time. Thank all in advance for any input.
Welcome to the FunFinder Forum! There will be lots of info here to help you increase your enjoyment of your “new to you” travel trailer. I too, have an ‘07 x210 FF and in general, it has served us well. One of its features that is most impressive is its massive 3200 lb cargo capacity! That level of capacity is rare in most of the newer “lightweight/featherweight” models that sacrifice cargo capacity for size.
RE: the bike rack question, the rear bumper of the x210 is not really designed for a bumper mount bike rack. I’ll qualify that by saying “without some additional modifications to bolster its strength”. Without additional modifications, the rack, with bikes mounted, will act like a lever and apply significant force to the already weak bumper and cause it to twist away. I have a bumper mount rack on our x210 but added some “strapage” that essentially suspends and secures the top of the rack to the back wall of the TT where the spare tire is mounted. I carry two (<30 lbs each) bikes on the rack and have not had any issues. Our TT is in storage currently so I’m unable to show pics.

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 12:31 PM   #5

Thanks very much for your input. Being as you have th same model as us would you happen to know where I could find a manual for it?
Old 03-16-2024, 01:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer25 View Post
Thanks very much for your input. Being as you have th same model as us would you happen to know where I could find a manual for it?
Sadly, there is no specific manual for the x210 Shadow Cruiser . Cruiser RV, LLC instead issued a generic 40 page booklet (Owner’s Manual) that covered the entire line of Cruiser RV travel trailers. The original owner of mine had kept ALL of the documentation from when he purchased the TT. It would be a major endeavor to copy all of that info. I would suggest that you Google Cruiser RV, LLC. The website should have a “contact us” section. Call or email their Customer Service/Support department and request a copy of their generic Owner’s Manual. I might also suggest that you Google the manufacturers of the individual components in your x210 i.e. water heater, refrigerator, furness, a/c, power inverter, etc. and download their user guides for those items.
If you have specific questions RE: your x210, I might be able to help out. Generic questions might be better answered by posting in the forum as the members here have an incredible amount of knowledge on FF TTs and RVing in general.

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
Old 03-17-2024, 04:36 PM   #7
APD

Talking

More info from RipVan here:

https://www.funfinderclub.com/forums...html#post19171

I'm sure it has been well used since 2017 huh Rip?

1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 10:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by APD View Post
More info from RipVan here:

https://www.funfinderclub.com/forums...html#post19171
I'm sure it has been well used since 2017 huh Rip?

You know, I knew that I’ve posted on this topic before but couldn’t remember when or where (& didn’t put any honest effort into finding it ;-(). Thanks for linking it!
It has, in fact, been well used, as I always take at least one bike on every camping trip and have never had an issue (structurally) with the rack’s attachment.
As mentioned previously, the bumper on the x210 isn’t designed for mounting anything and IMHO, mostly for “looks”. I think that if someone was serious about mounting a receiver type hitch, welding or bolting to the main frame would be required.

Old 03-24-2024, 03:59 PM   #9

We have a 2008 FF x210 and have all the original manuals that came with it. I will see if there’s anything about the bumper. Meanwhile, I’ll tell you that we mounted a long tube to the top of the bumper to hold our black tank slinky because it would not fit in the bumper due to some bolts that stick into the bumper space. We carry our mountain bikes in our tow vehicle. I don’t know what you’re towing with, but if you can put your bikes in it, that’s the safest way to travel with them. Thieves are everywhere and they will steal your bikes off your trailer.
AlicePalace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 04:03 PM   #10

Also, you want to keep weight toward the tongue of the trailer and not overweight the rear. This helps avoid the dreaded “porpoising”. If you definitely need to keep the bikes on the trailer, I’d see about getting a mount for the front.
AlicePalace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 09:38 PM   #11

If it looks like this one, it may not work.

atwowheelguy is offline   Reply With Quote