Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-23-2015, 10:10 AM   #1

Default Nasty Fresh Water Tank!

Well, I sure did not expect this! We are getting our 2013 189 FBS READY FOR A WEEKS VACATION AND DECIDED TO COMPLETELY DRAIN OUR FRESH WATER TANK...When we opened the drain it was plugged..had to remove the whole petcock to try and see what was going on.. After putting a bottle brush up there it finally started to run...AND it was dumping dead lady bugs out..Please someone tell me how lady bugs could possibly get in the tank..Isn't it sealed? Did they get in there at the factory? Now what do we do to be able to use the water from the tank

Old 06-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #2

The plumbing system must be sealed in order for the pump to develop pressure .... or when connected to city water for the pressure to push water out thru the faucets/stool, etc.

Of course, the fresh water storage tank itself it not pressurized so there must be an opening for the bugs to enter. Seems likely the bugs entered thru the fresh water fill port on the exterior of the camper ~ the port used to fill the water tank. Does the fill port cover fit snugly or was it left open?

I'd fill the tank with water to be sure no hole had 'rubbed thru' the tank itself .... perhaps where it not easily seen. IF water leaks from the tank, trace it to the source.

And time to flush the tank several times (or remove it to flush it clear) and then sanitize the tank with a bleach solution or with Sodioum Dichlor-s-tariazinetaicone.

Let us know what you discover.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:12 PM   #3

Hi Eagle Thank you for your prompt reply..We are still working on the bug problem..Right now we are still finding bug parts..SO only using to flush..We will be making the trip from camp ground to nearest RV dealer tomorrow, so may know more then..Thanks aga
in..
Old 06-24-2015, 03:42 PM   #4

Please post the final outcome. Would be interested to know for sure.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:22 AM   #5

I sure will.. Hubs thinks we will probably end up removing the tank to make sure we get it really clean and sanitary..if we don't get any where with just flushing the system.. Will need to clean faucet and shower filters.....I know we never left the fill cap off, so wondering if previous owners did or maybe at the dealership..guess we will never know...stuff happens, right?
Old 07-06-2015, 02:38 AM   #6

Default bugs

Hi ..We are still flushing and disinfecting our fresh water tank..Think by now it should be pretty darn clean Hopefully no more problems as we are leaving tomorrow for another weeks camping.. Thanks for the help..
Old 07-06-2015, 07:06 AM   #7

Hope you got it clean and disinfected so no one gets ill ~ especially when on vacation as that is a real bummer.

Don't know about others, but I always drain my fresh water tank as soon are I get home from travels.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:03 PM   #8

If you haven't cleansed your tank already, here is a good post about the difference between using bleach and Sodioum Dichlor-s-tariazinetaicone (which is basically, from what I understand, the type of chlorine used in drinking water???) Off-Grid Geeks: Water, Water Everywhere, and not a drop to drink (Why you should not use bleach to sanitize water)

dogs_rule is offline   Reply With Quote