Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-05-2015, 06:33 AM   #1

Default RV Cover

The last purchase on our list for our new (to us) RV is a cover before winter. There are many different brands and styles around. Does anyone find they like one brand or style over another. I don't want to purchase one and then not like it. All opinions would be much appreciated!!

Thanks, Cindy

Cynsew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:17 PM   #2

WOW! 52 people have read the post, but not one answer! Please help me. I don't want to waste my money on a cover that isn't any good!!!!

Old 09-08-2015, 07:23 PM   #3

probably the reason nobody has replied, is we are all looking also to see what the reply is ! Because most of us don't use a cover.
I don't use one, for a couple of reasons. One, I like to use my trailer fairly often, so I don't want the hassle of of covering and uncovering all the time.....and two, it really can be quite a chore to put these things on or off if there is any breeze at all.
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:16 AM   #4

Thank you gmw, I didn't realize that the wind would come into play, but I do understand that now. Our trailer will be setting outside, so I don't want it to get any sun damage. We have hard winters here, so we will definitely need a cover. Once we cover it, it won't be opened until spring.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:25 AM   #5

I used one for the first time last winter--it worked great.

From Camping World:

69970 ADCO Travel Trailer Designer Tyvek RV Cover - 15'1" - 18'
Old 09-09-2015, 08:24 AM   #6
roy

ADCO is what I have

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:11 PM   #7

I mainly cover to keep the sun off, we don't get much rain here. The cheaper poly propylene covers won't hold up in the sun. Something made with Sunbrella fabric will hold up best but is very expensive. I found that cotton drop cloth material holds up well in the hot So Cal sun. I bought a few painters drop cloths and use snaps and eyelets with bungee cords to hold them together. Just wrap it like a Christmas present. Once the snaps are in place, it only takes a few minutes to put on or take off. The cover I made 4 years ago is just now starting to wear out.

2008 189FBR
2007 FJ cruiser
Equalizer Hitch
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake controller
Yamaha EF2400is generator
chupp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:27 AM   #8

I have had an ADCO cover from Camping World for about 3 yrs. It is a pain to take on and off but it does a great job of protecting the trailers finish. It does have a tendency to rip easily, so you must keep it away from sharp edges. When this one wears out we would buy another.

Here is a link:

http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...y&Nty=1&Ntpc=1

Regards,
Alan
amurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:40 PM   #9

I also have this cover: 69970 ADCO Travel Trailer Designer Tyvek RV Cover - 15'1" - 18'

It's through its first summer, coming into its second winter. However, it's not holding up well in the Arizona climate; I expect it won't make it through another summer. It's faded dramatically, getting very thin in certain areas, the straps are becoming brittle, and even on the reinforced corners, they are rubbing through and tearing (and we have a lot of wind a lot of the time) at the corners of the trailer. The trailer is 14' and the cover is quite large, so there's a lot of room for it to blow around. I did find some great stuff I ordered on eBay that's 3M corner guard stuff. It's not pretty but so far it's helped dramatically and comes in different colors and I will be ordering more: Bumper Strip Surface Protector Corner Edge Cushion Guard 2meters with 3M Tape | eBay

I just pulled the backing and stuck it on all the corners. So far it's stayed stuck and it molds to the corners nicely. But I did finally concede and my buddy Brian Willard at Carver Covers is custom making me a cover made of Sunbrella material. Look, he said in the AZ (or any hot) climate, all of the cheap ($300 and under) covers just ain't going to cut it. With my 2005 T139, if it doesn't stay covered when not in use, the caulking along the seams rots and then one has to contend with water damage.

I bought the extended warranty on the Camping World cover, but unless it tears at the seams, the warranty doesn't cover tears from corners or sharp edges. Thusfar the seams are not ripping.

So... you either have to make the decision to replace a cheaper cover every few years, or suck it up and drop some cash on the good stuff. My boyfriend always tells me "Buy the best and only cry once." This Camping World cover is cover #2, and I've now got $500 invested in covers, minus what I'll pay for the custom Sunbrella cover, so I should have just bought the pricey one from the get go and called it done.

Bonbutter is offline   Reply With Quote