Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2017, 05:32 PM   #1

Default Safe T Alert combination LP/CO detector

My 2012 XT-276 came with two combo detectors .. one in the kitchen area and one in the garage area.

Last year, the one in the kitchen area was found to be 'alarming' multiple times when stopping for fuel or at rest stop. A quick airing out with the door open and they would return to normal, ie no alarm.

Later in the year, both the front and rear one would alarm intermittinly..either one or both at times. There seemed to be no 'set' pattern and it didn't matter if the frig was running or not or if the roof vents were closed or partially open. The kitchen detector was more prone to alerting so replaced it late last summer and this spring, replaced the one in the garage area.

On my last outing a few weeks ago, with two Harley's in the garage and none of the gas appliances operating (but gas turned on at the tanks) it didn't alarm..........UNTIL we stopped and were completely setup ...sat down in the dining booth for a few minutes and the rear detector alarmed....within 5 minutes the front detector alarmed. I disconnected them both.

Once home, I reconnected them so they are active. The toy hauler has been parked in the driveway for a week with the gas on and the refrigerator running on gas and no alarm at all.

I've checked the gas lines for leakage and found none. I'm thinking maybe find a place that can do a pressure test on the gas lines...??

Anyone with a toy hauler experience the LP/CO detectors alarming from fumes for the toy exhaust or ??

Any suggestions?

Old 02-01-2018, 11:18 AM   #2

Hi Eagle,

I see no one replied to your post of last August. Hope you got your LP detector fixed. Just thought I'd throw my two cents in...my LP detector kept going off for no apparent reason, usually when on the road and gas was off.

I was told my house battery was probably dead or close to dead. So I replaced battery with a brand new really good deep cycle marine one and voila! No more faulty alarms!

Old 02-01-2018, 12:18 PM   #3

Hi Dawnie, Thanks for your reply.

Since my OP, I removed both dual co/propane detectors and installed a waterproof push button switch to cut the power off to them with out removing them from the walls. I did this so if they alarm, I can quickly shut them off.

I also purchased a new home type co/gas detector https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d_i=7491103011 that is powered by 120V electricity when plugged in at home & has battery backup. Neither it nor the factory installed detectors alarmed while parked at home for over a month.

The 'house battery' was new this spring. It is a deep cycle Optima AGM battery, here:
https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...d-starting/34m I'm positive the battery is not the culprit here & yes, the connection terminals are clean/tight.

The camper is in winter storage until mid April. First trip out I will energize the two installed co/propane sensors and also run the 'Kiddie' sensor off it's battery and see what happens.

I tend to believe the MTI Safty Alert combo sensors are not all that reliable either from the factory or the new replacements I installed.....but ?

Anyone else want to chime in?