Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-21-2016, 09:41 AM   #1

Default Slide topper

I am wanting to have a slide topper installed on our 2016 225 RBS Shadow Cruiser. My problem is, I don't know if I should trust the selling dealer to do this. When we bought the trailer we wanted a larger "helper handle" installed since we both have knee problems. Well when it was installed the tech ran the screws THROUGH the interior wall !!! They did cut them off after. I DO NOT want the same problem with the slide cover. So what say the Forum ? Don,t trust local Camping World either. Anybody have this trailer with a slide topper installed ? Thanks in advance, Dave

Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:54 AM   #2

Did you have the dealer replace the damaged interior wall panel their 'less than intelligent' employee damaged?

Sounds like there are just some 'warm bodies' working there. ?

Old 06-22-2016, 07:06 AM   #3

Well, I now have a question...

I just assumed my nice, large helper handle was attached to something of substance other than those seemingly not strong walls.

If it's attached through just the foam and very thin wood, how sturdy can it be, over time?

I love this handle over my first FF, but I'll have to be more careful about the kind of pressure I put on it. Sure thought it would have been screwed into some metal support structure...

As regarding your question - I did a whole bunch of research about a slide topper. The consensus is right around 50:50 yay and nay. I decided on the nay and just bring my collapsible ladder and an extendable broom for a quick, last minute sweep.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:38 PM   #4

What is a slide topper?
Is this the "awning" that automatically unrolls over the slide when you extend the slide?
If so - consider this: I wanted one and was talked out of it by the dealer. He said they don't last very long. They aren't truly effective at protecting the slide. When leaves and stuff get under/between the awning and slide it's harder to clean.
He showed me used travel trailers on the lot and said said "Look at these units, 3-5 years old. Almost all that have the slide protection swings, the awnings are torn."
Talked me out of it, saved me money. Haven't missed having one.
For what it's worth . . .
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:41 AM   #5

Sorry for the slow reply Eagle. I replied through my phone and learned that does NOT work ! I did not have them replace the panel, we had reservations at a crawfis festival 2 days later and also I considered if they could mess up such a simple install, what would the results be from them trying to correct it. Coming from my background in collision repair, including some very high end vehicles, had I pulled a stunt like this, I may have found myself unemployed. Everyone is human, everyone makes mistakes but, it is ehat you do to correct that mistake that either builds customer trust or destroys it. Thanks to you and all that replied, Dave
Old 06-25-2016, 07:08 AM   #6

Michelle, The Fun Finder we looked at had the larger handle installed from the factory but, sadly, our Shadow Cruiser did not. I believe these handles are attached to the metal framing around the door. I am not a small person and I am not afraid to use the handle. That said, I may find my fannie on the ground some day !!!LOL!!
Old 06-25-2016, 07:11 AM   #7

runner421, Thanks for the insight. On our first outing we had to stow the slide in the rain. I learned quickly that the slide seals do not squeege water from the slide as I had assumed. You make very good points as far as leaves. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.