Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2017, 09:47 AM   #1

Default First tow with a 2017 Silverado "Custom"

Returned yesterday from a 500-mile round trip camping excursion with our new 2017 Chevy Silverado pulling the FunFinder XT200 toy hauler. We didn't have any toys this trip, so the camper was pretty light.

Our previous TV was a 2008 Ford F150 with the 5.4 liter V8 and the tow package. The Ford pulled it okay, but the transmission was ALWAYS searching for the right gear, even with the OverDrive turned off. Chevy's "trailer-hauling setting" on the shift lever gave me I think 6 gears, and it moved surely through every gear. Gas mileage averaged 10.8 mpg, compared to 9.2 mpg in the Ford.

I also noticed that at times, the transmission down-shifted on its own as I went down long grades or was coming to a stop. That was a little weird at first, but I think it's good for the brakes.I never used Cruise Control with the Ford, but I tried it out this trip on I-87 in NY state and it handled itself beautifully. Chevy's electric brake control is smooth and reliable, too.

I've always driven either a Ford or a Toyota Tacoma, but after my third Ford in a row rusted out from underneath me, I thought it was time to make a change. I have to say that this Chevy is pretty darn nice. Then again, it's a 2017 versus a 2008, so, you know, it had BETTER be better!

-- 1962 Wife / Partner-In-Life
vttimwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:36 AM   #2

Great you like your new TV.

I always use the 'tow mode' in my Ram 2500 and use the cruise control letting the tranny shift as needed by the computer since everything is computer controlled now.

Enjoy your toy hauler and new TV.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:10 AM   #3

I'm in my 3rd GM pick up and continue to be happy. Like you are seeing the "trailer setting" and cruise work pretty nice together.

In case you don't discover this on your own, two things about the 4x4 settings:
The "auto mode" works very well on wet or slippery roads. At the slightest hint of wheel spin, the front wheels kick in and puts you back on course.
However, I thought it was ok to leave it in Auto mode permanently until discovered it was costing about 1 mpg when not in use, plus unecessary wear & tear. So now its in 2x4 mode by default, auto only when anticipate the need. (and 4x4 in the snow, or backing my trailer into a muddy campsite)
Old 08-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #4

Is your Chevy a Flex-fuel? We have a 2010 F150 with the same engine I think. We've never had any problem with it searching for the gears, but we just turned over 80K miles and think it might be time for a new one. This was our first Ford and we much prefer Chevy.
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:38 PM   #5

My truck is a GMC Sierra, with the 5.3 engine, but not flex fuel. Similar size to your F150 but def not the same engine.
The "trailering mode" is very effective and definately works the tranny and engine differently, all adjusted by computer.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #6

My truck is a Chevy Silverado, with the 5.3L. Definitely not a Ford engine. I think the Fords of this size have a 5.4L engine.

The Chevy has the "Variable Displacement" feature that turns off 4 of the 8 cylinders when not the truck doesn't need full power. When I'm not towing, and if I'm easy on the gas, I can get just about 20 mpg as compared to 12mpg on my Ford 5.4L. Over time, that's gonna add up.
-- 1962 Wife / Partner-In-Life
vttimwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vttimwhite View Post
Returned yesterday from a 500-mile round trip camping excursion with our new 2017 Chevy Silverado pulling the FunFinder XT200 toy hauler. We didn't have any toys this trip, so the camper was pretty light.

Our previous TV was a 2008 Ford F150 with the 5.4 liter V8 and the tow package. The Ford pulled it okay, but the transmission was ALWAYS searching for the right gear, even with the OverDrive turned off. Chevy's "trailer-hauling setting" on the shift lever gave me I think 6 gears, and it moved surely through every gear. Gas mileage averaged 10.8 mpg, compared to 9.2 mpg in the Ford.

[COLOR="Yellow"]I also noticed that at times, the transmission down-shifted on its own as I went down long grades or was coming to a stop.[/COLOR] That was a little weird at first, but I think it's good for the brakes.I never used Cruise Control with the Ford, but I tried it out this trip on I-87 in NY state and it handled itself beautifully. Chevy's electric brake control is smooth and reliable, too.

I've always driven either a Ford or a Toyota Tacoma, but after my third Ford in a row rusted out from underneath me, I thought it was time to make a change. I have to say that this Chevy is pretty darn nice. Then again, it's a 2017 versus a 2008, so, you know, it had BETTER be better!
In Tow/Haul Mode what you are experiencing is the engine braking system activated, I believe is more pronounced when you just touch the brake pedal but do not apply the brakes on the truck. Mine works very well and rarely use the tow vehicle or trailer brakes if I cancel the cruise with the brake pedal while towing our 21 foot FF. 30,000 km and brakes on the truck and trailer are like new. A little planning while driving can save a lot on wear and tear. GM got this one right, makes towing more enjoyable and less costly. I believe the truck also senses grade and applies more engine braking capability. Enjoy the option. Silverado
Old 08-20-2017, 08:08 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
I believe the truck also senses grade and applies more engine braking capability.
It does. I've driven on several steep downgrades - like 5-6%. You can definitely feel the engine slow down. It will still very gradually pick up speed up but it takes a while. It's nice not to have to continually apply brakes, especially with the switchbacks.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:06 AM   #9

Yes it works well, its too bad the sales people are unable to share this information with potential buyers, they are to busy asking you about payment options. lol Silverado
Old 08-20-2017, 09:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
It does. I've driven on several steep downgrades - like 5-6%. You can definitely feel the engine slow down. It will still very gradually pick up speed up but it takes a while. It's nice not to have to continually apply brakes, especially with the switchbacks.
Plus, there's also a screen on your DIC that you can call up that shows you grade info. Just for fun you can watch it as you go up and down a mountain pass or something. Doesn't really serve much of a purpose other than that I don't think. Just interesting to watch sometimes.

Or I guess if you do a lot of off-roading...
Attached Thumbnails
OffRoadDicScreen.jpeg