Old 12-29-2016, 11:03 AM   #11
APD

We have Good Sam for the discounts but not their road service. We do carry AAA's premium plan. We've only needed it once but they were Johnny on the spot.
I think for road service outta state and on my little campers that AAA was the best choice. Opinions vary.
If we were wheeling a 40' class A I might reconsider both plans or even look elsewhere at commercial plans. Those rigs are a whole different level of tow truck ($$$$).

Good Sam Road Service info on Consumer Affairs site:
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto...ssistance.html

1993 Chevy "Shorty" Van
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:09 AM   #12

Agreed. AAA has done well by us. I think Camping World's prices on things can easily be beat, even with the GS discount. We aren't using the park discounts either so we will let it lapse. Pros and cons always.

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:15 AM   #13

Yes, I see that your tub bath would be adequate compared to our tiny corner shower. But still I would use the camp shower I think. I always get there early in the am before other campers so they are dry and there isn't a line. And it's their water not ours and we're not using propane to heat the water.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:30 AM   #14
APD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
Yes, I see that your tub bath would be adequate compared to our tiny corner shower. But still I would use the camp shower I think. I always get there early in the am before other campers so they are dry and there isn't a line. And it's their water not ours and we're not using propane to heat the water.
Speaking of saving water/propane....
Depending on how far it is to town. A health club membership can be handy. If you're gonna be out site seeing anyway, most clubs have pretty nice showers and some can be visited anytime. Nice and warm inside in the spring or fall.
1993 Chevy "Shorty" Van
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
We purchased the Good Sam Membership and Road Service last year. We used it for the discount at Camping World but didn't use the Road Service or any other benefits. Our Aaa agent says our RV is covered for Road Service through our policy and we have purchased everything we need for the trailer. So I'm thinking I won't renew the membership this year. What are your thoughts about Good Sam?
Hi Mich,
We have had the standard AAA Road Service for years and I have a Good Sam Membership. I have used the AAA road Service (for cars only) and keep it in case the Boss needs it sometime... We have used it enough over the years to keep it and once up here after the granddaughter locked her keys in her car...

As far as GS, we buy stuff at Camping World; they are about 30 min. drive from our home. We also ask at every place we camp and am surprised at the places that recognize the card and give me $3 - $5 off on nightly camping. We drove over to Wis. in spring to camp and they gave a pretty good discount... Sooo, we'll keep that guy. Oh, BTW, Good Sam sends so much junk mail out, you never know when you owe; Just keep track and when they offer the big discounts, buy a few years; I think my last update cost $75 for 3 years.

GS sent me a Free Roadside Service a couple years ago and I was tempted to keep it up after the Free Membership ran out, but I decided against the extra cost. AAA doesn't cover much, if any at all, on the trailers... Sooo, I'll gamble and knock on wood, that good inspections before and while traveling will prevent most of the surprises...

Oh BTW, AAA will cover your trailer in addition to your auto, but when I checked on it, it didn't cover as much as GS and was a bit more expensive... We left the trailer coverage off...

Good Luck...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:01 PM   #16

Hey BTW folks,
If you are 50+ and have an AARP subscription, their card is also recognized at numerous places... Most of the Perkins will give you the old guy discount off the bill and quite a few other places will also...

I also don't know why so many people don't ask for discounts... at Walmart, restaurants, Auto Parts, Campgrounds, etc. ... I don't mean with just the card, but just ask for the better deal or a discount... I save a bunch every year...

I also just found a great portable propane 19" diameter "campfire" "Fire Bowl" at Menards for $49 ... I bought 2, one for the backyard (For those rare burns) and one for the trailer... ... I'll take the one for the yard and make a "Yard" base for it, to raise it a little and hide two bottles...

Anyway, just thinking... Good luck and enjoy

Old 12-29-2016, 05:12 PM   #17

We finally got ourselves off of AARP's mailing list after about 2 years. Each year we consume and spend less and less so we don't go where all of those discounts are. They must be saving a lot of members money by not sending tons of junk mail to us.
Who is the AARP??
http://www.americanthinker.com/artic...rs_second.html
Old 12-30-2016, 08:45 AM   #18

Mich ~ great article about the misdeeds of the AARP.

Although not specifically mentioned in the article but well documented, they fully support the goal of disarming the American citizens thru severely restrictive firearm laws, registration and eventual confiscation.

They attempt to put a 'nice' spin on it but their end goal is clear ~ eliminate the 2nd Amendment of the United States Constitution, an amendment initiated by our founding fathers to protect the citizens from a tyrannical government.

https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...ant-your-guns/
Old 12-30-2016, 09:11 AM   #19

Don't mean to get political on here but we agree.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Mich ~ great article about the misdeeds of the AARP.

Although not specifically mentioned in the article but well documented, they fully support the goal of disarming the American citizens thru severely restrictive firearm laws, registration and eventual confiscation.

They attempt to put a 'nice' spin on it but their end goal is clear ~ eliminate the 2nd Amendment of the United States Constitution, an amendment initiated by our founding fathers to protect the citizens from a tyrannical government.

https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...ant-your-guns/
Interesting read Eagle,
I had no idea AARP was headed in this direction...