Old 03-22-2018, 08:28 AM   #11
APD

Hilda you might look around here:
Cargo, Hauling & Towing - Dodge Caravan Forum

There's some discussion on there about towing TT's with GC's.

1993 Chevy "Shorty" Van
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:27 AM   #12

I'm getting such a wide range of answers, it really is impossible to get to the bottom of this. I have a few calls to people I'm waiting for, but it is looking more and more like we are well able to tow this little guy with our van. I don't want to be unsafe, however, so will continue to look for answers and possible upgrades to the van.

Hilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:41 PM   #13

we are feeling ok about towing with the dodge GC. we went to scales today, and weighed the van and trailer. The trailer had full tank of propane, new battery, 1/3 tank of water and weighed 2100# our van weighed 4940, total weight of 7040#
We talked to a number of people, and feel reassured about using the van to tow. Our frontage area is good, and we are 1710 under the GCWR.
The recommended equipment was only a weight distribution system to keep more of the front end on the road, and of course, brake controller.
We took it on the interstate on a stretch of road with a long, fairly demanding grade. It accelerated and handled well. RPMs, speed and shifting seemed to indicate it wasn't having a hard time at all. I was very comfortable driving it at 60, it was quite nice! Passing semis didn't affect us at all. I'm really relieved!
thanks for your interest and for helping us become more informed about trailer towing safety!
Old 03-23-2018, 04:36 PM   #14

If any questions remain about towing with your Van, Chrysler Corporation/Dodge will have specifications on towing capacity. Your Chrysler local dealership can help.

I have a Equal-i-Zer weight distribution hitch that does a wonderful job for WD and sway control...here: https://www.equalizerhitch.com/ A price search on the internet will get your selected hitch at lowest price.

On a Dodge Ram 1500 (now replaced) I used a Teksnokia P3 brake controller which was an excellent system w/simple connection to the vehicle. Here: https://www.easternmarine.com/Brake-...ehicle-Wiring/ or check prices elsewhere.

Best with your venture and happy camping.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #15
APD

I wouldn't recommend an equalizer hitch on a single axle T139. Careful loading of the trailer (forward and aft of the axle) will keep the tongue weight within proper limits and is much less stressful on the trailer suspension, the hitch and the wallet.
If you're gonna use an equalizer type hitch on any single axle trailer it can be easy to over load the axle without realizing it.
The little Dexter axle under the 139 is close to the limit already with water, gas and added gear.
My 2%.
1993 Chevy "Shorty" Van
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:52 PM   #16

I sure appreciate the help. We carefully measured the amount the front of the van raised as the trailer was lowered onto the van hitch. 1/8"!! I don't think we need the WDH. I think brakes might be all we need.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:19 AM   #17

Only had double axel so wasn't aware of not being necessary on single axel.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #18

a bit more knowledge. our mechanic took a look and said we do have the towing package on the engine part of our van, like the engine cooling and the heavy duty transmission oil cooler, and a heavy duty radiator. tranny has oversized capacity for oil and 2 filters. still don't think it has the towing suspension, but several places don't think it's necessary.
doubt is a funny thing. you think about it before you drift off to sleep, you worry, visualize bad things happening. It didn't take me long to feel comfortable hitching up and towing it for a short way on the highway. I wonder how long it will take for the worry to go away once we start traveling. We are careful and defensive drivers, aware of the dangers of towing a trailer. we don't overload and don't expect our vehicle to behave the same with a trailer as without a trailer. the Dodge service department looked over our numbers and said we are fine. But I still worry. I guess we will get the answers when we start traveling.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:35 PM   #19

The worry will never go away, and that is a good thing! Pulling a trailer is a big responsibility. I enjoy it -- we travel 60 to 90 days a year -- but I am always on high alert while driving. (Maybe worry is too strong of a word -- concern, perhaps??)
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:08 PM   #20

yeah, worry is the "less positive" word. careful, cautious, aware of conditions and limitations?
It's been very windy for several days. wind always sort of puts me on edge, maybe I'm imagining driving in this wind...