Old 07-09-2018, 07:08 PM   #11

The limiting number for everything but full-size pickup trucks is the bumper (hitch) weight rating. It is usually ten percent of the tow rating. Often must call manufacturer to get rating. It is difficult to stay under this number. I pull with a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Hemi 4WD - tow rating 7200, bumper rating 720. I pull a 210WDS (dry weight 3370, hitch weight 410) and am between 650 and 670 pounds on the hitch (do not want to be any closer to the rating). (Weigh your rigs, people.) This is fully loaded for long-term camping and full water tank. I switched to smaller propane tanks (for room and weight), added a battery and a 30 pound Honda 1000 generator on the tongue. That plus my super light weight Andersen hitch means a net 130 pound increase over dry weight just from the tongue stuff. I highly recommend the Andersen weight-distribution, anti-sway hitch which weights less than 60 pounds (andersenhitch.com). Without it I would be over my bumper weight rating. I have used fifth wheel and other hitches and this Andersen is the cat’s meow. Easily self-installed (as a 72 year old female, I have done two). No heavy bars to lug around and store. And Anderson customer support is stellar. (I have no affiliation with Andersen).

lucynricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:30 PM   #12

Oops. Of all things to typo, my Fun Finder model number should be 210 UDS.

lucynricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #13

I pulled my 2013 189FDS (loaded weight 5100lbs) with a V6 Pathfinder rated at 6000 towing - and it was miserable. We recently purchased a Ram 1500 Bighorn V6 EcoDiesel and love it. Tows amazing, 16mpg towing and 28mpg commuting. Because this is a light duty truck (drives like a luxury car) the suspension is soft so I still use weight distribution
Old 07-15-2018, 02:14 PM   #14

I’m not sold on the Andeeson WDH. With the tentioned cables pulling the ball into the back of the hitch against the lock/tab (dont know term). I’m not convinced this won’t t prematurely wear the hitch as they are not designed for that ball placement. I’llwait a few years till I hear more reports.

« Sway | gas mileage »