Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #1

Default alarm

The alarm (beside the bed) is going off in our 2008 Fun Finder 189 FBR. Does anyone know where the reset buttom is?

Thanks,
Rosemary

rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #2

I'm going to assume that it is your LP detector that is sounding off...

There are a few reasons that it might be sounding off:

First, is, obviously, a propane leak somewhere in the confines of the trailer. Make sure, first, that it isn't going off because you have a propane leak...that is what it is designed to "sound off" for, a leak, and you definitely want to rule that out first and foremost as the cause. If you've shut the propane off and aired out the trailer and it is still going off, then:

Second, your 12v battery is going low or is failing from an internal short or even an overcharge; any reason that would cause insufficient voltage. Most detectors have circuitry that will warn you when your 12v battery is so low that the detector has not got enough "juice" to effectively monitor for an LP leak (it takes a certain threshold voltage to operate the detection circuitry; much like the "chirp" you get from a smoke detector when the 9v or AA batteries run down). If your trailer has been sitting idle for a month or two and you haven't disconnected it or charged it during that time, your battery is probably low. The LP detector is the primary drain on your 12v battery during storage and will drain your battery in short order. That's why it is a good reason to disconnect your battery if the trailer is going to sit with no provisions for charging it. If your 12v battery is good, there is no propane leak, then:

Thirdly, the device itself has gone bad. That sometimes happens if it gets wet or just shakes its internals loose. They also have a "lifetime", you can usually find a date on them somewhere.

They are wired directly to the battery, however, there may or may not be a fuse anywhere from an in-line type (in an individual wire) to a fuse in your converter's fuse panel that you could pull. If you just want to "shut it up" until you can do adequate testing or until you can replace it (if the cause isn't obvious) you'll find it easiest to unscrew it from its mounting and unplug the unit. Make sure that you get it operational as soon as possible; an LP detector is first line defense against fires in your RV.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #3

Thanks, Don. I was cleaning inside around the baseboards with Tilex and I think that is what set it off. I will pass this info on to my husband. He left this morning for a fishing trip. It was still going off this morning when he left. We felt like there must be a reset button. We tried everything. The sticker beside the alarm said to test regularly. We did this. We purchased our fun finder last October and the buyer didn't have the owners manual. I'm going to contact RV Cruiser and see if they can get me one. Thanks for all your information. It really helps.

Rosemary
rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:51 PM   #4

This is an older thread but well-worth renewing. Our propane monitor (LP and CO actually) just started blinking Red and Green alternately. This means that "End of Life" has been reached. Our 2016 Funfinder was purchased in January of 2016 and the monitor is dated June 2015. The stated replacement is 60 months after retail sale. Apparently there is a failure band and any given unit is not guaranteed to last 60 months. Lucky us! Ours is a dual LP and CO monitor/alarm mfr by MTI Industries with model number 35-742. The current drain is 82ma at 12VDC. They are readily available.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:52 AM   #5

Mine go off darn near every time when traveling. I do have the propane on to run the frig. I have had the camper checked by a qualified service center that found no propane leak. I installed push button switches on each of the two devices to turn them off when traveling ... and turn them back on once arrived for the evening. Then NEVER alert when parked. The factory installed units were over a year old when purchasing the unit and have been replaced a few years go.

Since I don't put much faith in the factory installed propane/co2 detectors, I also plug in one of these when camping/hooked into 120 volt power. https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-Explosi...SIN=B0002EVNJ6 It has NEVER alarmed.

On a side note: The factory installed tires were two years old when received the unit, special order from the factory two months earlier. All tires are date stamped when mfg so easy to read on the tire how old they are.