Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #1

Default Replacing valve on Fresh water tank

Hey all,

Seems like I asked this question before lol but I don't remember the answer. The valve on my freshwater tank just spins, in order to make it empty we have to clamp it down with a vice grip and then turn the top part. I thought I would replace it, but I'm not sure exactly what to get. Does anybody know what the specific part is? Is it threaded or glued in?

Okay I just don't look like that work try this link
https://goo.gl/photos/rgrAwK2hH6F4Peod8

It's been awhile since I dealt with it, so I don't remember exactly but looking at this I must be putting the vice grips on the outgoing drain line, because the valve body itself doesn't turn. I think now that I have a door to it I might be able to tighten that worm screw and fix it without replacing it. Seems like I did that a few times already and it didn't work.

So what do you think?

Old 02-14-2016, 09:27 AM   #2
Site Team

It looks like your valve is similar to this 3/8" & 1/2" MPT Drain Valve

Although I can't tell what size from the photo.

It doesn't seem like the valve body should be able to rotate as you move the valve handle though since the end in the tank would prevent that. Or are you stopping before it moves much? If that's the case & the valve handle will move when you grip the body with pliers you might try spraying some silicone lube on it and work it in by holding the valve with pliers while you move the handle back & forth.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:14 AM   #3

Yeah, I don't think the body can turn its attached to the tank. However when I turn the handle something is turning that keeps the valve from functioning. So, it must be the tubing that is held on with that worm drive clamp. When I put vise grips on it, it works. The problem is that I don't have one that I can actually hold in my hands and figure out how it works. But we will be heading to the big city this week and I'll probably just buy a replacement because they're only about $3 and then I will know how it works whether I replace it or not. Worth $3 to know how it works.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:17 AM   #4

Also, having cut an access door I can see it more clearly. I probably should get off the couch and go look instead of just randomly making up crap. Unfortunately I hurt my back and I can't get down there to look yet lol. Actually, that's why I'm starting all these threads because I can't work on anything all I can do is sit on the couch and talk. I wish I would hurry up and heal lol.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintyLiz View Post
Also, having cut an access door I can see it more clearly. I probably should get off the couch and go look instead of just randomly making up crap. Unfortunately I hurt my back and I can't get down there to look yet lol. Actually, that's why I'm starting all these threads because I can't work on anything all I can do is sit on the couch and talk. I wish I would hurry up and heal lol.
Hi Liz.... What... the trailer design engineer with a hurt back... we can't be having that... I'm sorry to hear about your back, but I had to give you a bit of a hard time...

That valve is a 1/4 turn; when the handle is crosswise to the inlet pipe the valve is closed, and if it is aligned with the inlet pipe, the valve should be open... and if the handle turns and the inner stem does not (I think that is what you are describing), I suggest you replace the valve and fix the hose and clamp on the bottom.

I blew your pic up and it looks like the clamp also has a hex head and you may be able to get a socket on it to take it off. I think those are close to 5/16", but who knows on these trailers and I cannot tell the size of the valve by the pic, but I think LJAZ is pretty close.

Good luck and take care of your back...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:41 PM   #6

Thanks! I actually did get down and look, injury and all lol. This is what confuses me. The outlet tubing turns when I turn the valve handle. If I hold the tubing while I turn the handle, the valve works. If I let the tubing turn with the valve, the valve does not work. The handle does not have a quarter turn stop, it will go around and around.

I wouldn't think the tubing would have any relation to the valve itself. So I don't know how to fix it. The only thing I can think of is that the tubing is attached to the wrong part, I.e. up too high and contacting the assembly or something... Really no clue.

Cheap to fix but a pain in my already aching tush ha ha probably just have to replace it. Or just keep using the vise grips, since that works and I am the queen of jerry rigging.

Liz
Old 02-14-2016, 07:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks! I actually did get down and look, injury and all lol. This is what confuses me. The outlet tubing turns when I turn the valve handle. If I hold the tubing while I turn the handle, the valve works. If I let the tubing turn with the valve, the valve does not work. The handle does not have a quarter turn stop, it will go around and around.

I wouldn't think the tubing would have any relation to the valve itself. So I don't know how to fix it. The only thing I can think of is that the tubing is attached to the wrong part, I.e. up too high and contacting the assembly or something... Really no clue.

Cheap to fix but a pain in my already aching tush ha ha probably just have to replace it. Or just keep using the vise grips, since that works and I am the queen of jerry rigging.

Liz
Hi Liz...
I am still guessing that there is an inner part that is turning, as the body shouldn't be able to turn... Why the hose rotates is baffling, unless there is an inner sleeve that is turning, that is not supposed to turn ... or, you are somehow turning the hose... ???

In any case, I personally would change it and know it is fixed and not worry about it...

You are correct, this style valve does not typically have a handle stop and it is easy to turn too far or not far enough, and then, the water drips when off or does not drain as well.

I wish I could get an access cut to get to mine, but no way...

Take care of the back...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
You are correct, this style valve does not typically have a handle stop and it is easy to turn too far or not far enough, and then, the water drips when off or does not drain as well.

I wish I could get an access cut to get to mine, but no way...
I had the same annoyance with mine, plus I found inconvenient having the drain on the inside of the trailer when all your other water and waste system control is on the outside.

What I ended up doing was cut the hose that comes out the bottom a little shorter, install a 90 degree hose barbed elbow, added a few feet of the same size PVC hose, and installed a new valve through the metal trim at the edge of the trailer under the hot water heater so that I could drain / fill / flush from the outside.

It's hard to describe, but I can take pictures in the spring. I also installed the Valterra No Fuss Flush kit on my black holding tank in a similar manner.

I left the old valve in place, but just left it open at all times because I didn't want to deal with pulling the tank to replace it.

Ed
Ed Venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:45 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:

It doesn't. That tube is attached to barbed end of the valve to drain the water out. It's no big deal if it turns - unless it's leaking of course. Then you'll end up with water in that compartment.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Venture View Post

I left the old valve in place, but just left it open at all times because I didn't want to deal with pulling the tank to replace it.

Ed
Oh no, Ed, say it isn't so! I don't really have to pull the tank?? I guess I'll just leave those vice grips on until it completely stops working lol

Liz
Old 02-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
It doesn't. That tube is attached to barbed end of the valve to drain the water out. It's no big deal if it turns - unless it's leaking of course. Then you'll end up with water in that compartment.
Except that if it turns, the valve doesn't work. Absolutely makes no sense but it's a fact.

Liz
Old 02-15-2016, 08:57 AM   #12
Site Team

Liz - spray some silicone lube on it. Right at the base of the valve handle. Then using your pliers open & close the valve a few times. You might be able to loosen it that way.

If the pvc hose is stopping the valve from working it may be because it's getting kinked somewhere when it's twisted so that water can't flow.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:07 AM   #13

I will try that!

Liz