Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2021, 07:43 AM   #1

Default T-139 Lift Kits

Hey Everyone:

I'm looking to raise our 2005 T-139 at least 4 inches to achieve greater clearance from the top of the wheel well. There is currently a mere 1.5 inches of clearance, with obvious signs of rubbing. I found some Dexter axle lift kits, but I've not checked to see if these bolt on kits will work, or if the axle is currently welded to the frame. Does anyone have any experience with lifting this trailer?

Thanks.

Wouldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:57 AM   #2

My X-139 was lifted -- it is almost identical to the T-139. Your best bet is to talk to Dexter. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Old 11-01-2021, 09:14 AM   #3
APD

If it's a Torq-flex the Torq-flex axles were bolted in from the factory. The lift kits are a bolt-in as well.
In 2005 the Dexter Torq-Flex spec'd by Cruiser for the T139's is a modified Dexter #9 or 2200 pound axle. They are/were very close to being max'd out with a fully loaded rig. Instead of opting for a 3500 pound axle, Cruiser spec'd the #9 from Dexter with extra rubber for a 2500 pound weight rating. Because of safety inspection concerns the axles were equipped with the larger #10 (10") brakes. This makes swapping to a 3500 pound #10 Dexter a snap with basic tools.
I swapped ours and made my own 1.5" lift and it's the best mod I've made so far. Really rides better. Cured the "low-rider bounce" I was watching in the rear view mirror and cured the tire wear problem that the undersized axles can sometimes have....
Please keep us posted if you decide on a lift kit. If you're interested in the swap I have the PO number from my 3500 pound axle that Dexter can reference. They can't sell direct but their customer service is super helpful and will work with your retailer.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:36 AM   #4

For what it is worth, I upgraded my 2500 lb axles to 3500. The dealer did the work -- not me! This was done at the same time that they lifted the trailer, via an "axle flip."

My goal was to make my trailer a little more rugged -- we do a lot of off-pavement towing at slow speeds on very rough forest roads. I figured that the impact of the trailer on rocks and potholes would put a lot of stress on the axles.

I'm not sure that the upgrade was necessary, but it gave me a little extra peace of mind.
Old 09-09-2022, 06:02 PM   #5

I’d love to know more about the axle. I have a 2005 t139 and confirmed I have a #9. The order form from dexter is no joke though. The #9 is likely all the same for the t139’s BUT the order form needs way more details. In Canada I’d have to keep whatever I ordered and the price is floating over $2000.00 (with me installing it).

Also, they are all bolted to the frame. Likely a lift kit is the easiest way to open up some wheel clearance.
I have roller caster on the ass end to save the plumbing out back when on crown/public land camping
Canadiancamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 12:18 PM   #6
APD

WOW! The axle I swapped in was about $675 US retail. (I had to buy it thru a Dexter retailer) See post above.
Are you looking at brakes, hubs and all? If so, the brakes from your old axle will fit the 3500 pound rated #10. A quick way to be sure is to measure the brakes. A 10" brake fits the #10 Dexter.
The reason they will fit in your situation is the 2005 T139 was sold with a #9 axle that was specially ordered by Cruiser to use the #10 brakes.
Hope this helps.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 09-13-2022, 11:11 AM   #7

Cheapest way is an axle flip. I just recently did mine. It took $20 for the new spring perches and roughly 4 hrs of work.
Granted, I welded it myself but it was literally about 15 minutes of welding so bringing the axles to a weld shop shouldn't be too expensive.
Ended up with about 4" of lift.
Roxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:38 PM   #8

nice sound like a nice plan for the winter... Do you have picture ?
Kebbeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 01:39 PM   #9

I had a trailer shop do my axle flip on our dual axle ‘09 189FBS.

It is actually just welding new brackets to the top of the axle housing — so that the springs attach on top and the axle is now under the springs.

Gained exactly 4.5” of additional ground clearance.

Cost was $200 including the brackets.

Best, Fred
foakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 05:11 AM   #10

Default T-139 axle flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
Cheapest way is an axle flip. I just recently did mine. It took $20 for the new spring perches and roughly 4 hrs of work.
Granted, I welded it myself but it was literally about 15 minutes of welding so bringing the axles to a weld shop shouldn't be too expensive.
Ended up with about 4" of lift.
Hi Roxtar, i just bought a t-139 2005 and i really need more clearance my truck is too high and i go outbound here in Quebec. Can you give us more detail of how to do it ? or post pictures of under the your trailer so i can figure how to do it ? Every fliping axle vidéo i found on youtube are not for torflex ! Thanks
Old 10-18-2022, 07:19 PM   #11
APD

Sorry Kebbeker, you can't flip the Torq-Flex axles. Flipping the axle will only work for spring mounted axles.
Dexter makes a lift kit for the Torq-Flex which consists of blocks that bolt between the axle mount and the frame to add height.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 10-18-2022, 07:32 PM   #12
APD

Talking

Here's the info from the 3500# Dexter I swapped under my 2005 T139. It's in inches.
73.00 HF is 73" Hub Face to Hub face. (Mine came without hubs of course as I used my old brakes. See post above.)

OB -53.88 is the mounting pad dimension and SA 22DT refers to 22 degrees on the starting angle of the torsion mounted suspension arms.

Most dealers will want to take their own measurements before ordering.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 10-18-2022, 08:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by APD View Post
Sorry Kebbeker, you can't flip the Torq-Flex axles. Flipping the axle will only work for spring mounted axles.
Dexter makes a lift kit for the Torq-Flex which consists of blocks that bolt between the axle mount and the frame to add height.
Thank you ADP , it's seems quite easy! i just need to make sure it will still get in my garage if i lift it... winter is not easy up here... i mesure and it's quite tight ;(
Old 10-19-2022, 09:01 AM   #14

One last thing to remember when changing out axles, raising the TT, or doing any modifications on the axle & spring mounts.

Make sure that the axle is “squared” before completing the modification.

If it is not exact (not 1/4” - 1/2” on either side difference) the trailer will have some towing resistance, as well as a good chance of seriously wearing out the tires prematurely.

Whether it is a dual axle, single axle, bolt-on, welded, DIY, or have a trailer shop do it — it has to be at the right position.

Dead on with no slop from one side to the other.

I measure from the ball mount to the center of each wheel — then I measure it again before proceeding.

Most of you probably already know this — just for others who may not.

Best Always, Fred
foakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 05:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by APD View Post
WOW! The axle I swapped in was about $675 US retail. (I had to buy it thru a Dexter retailer) See post above.
Are you looking at brakes, hubs and all? If so, the brakes from your old axle will fit the 3500 pound rated #10. A quick way to be sure is to measure the brakes. A 10" brake fits the #10 Dexter.
The reason they will fit in your situation is the 2005 T139 was sold with a #9 axle that was specially ordered by Cruiser to use the #10 brakes.
Hope this helps.

No, no, I mean WAY more information. There is a ton of info the need in a technical way. 10inch brakes doesn’t answer the questions on the form. There are hundreds of combinations of options for these axles. The best bet is to go to a trail dealer/repair facility and let them order it.
Canadiancamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 03:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebbeker View Post
Hi Roxtar, i just bought a t-139 2005 and i really need more clearance my truck is too high and i go outbound here in Quebec. Can you give us more detail of how to do it ? or post pictures of under the your trailer so i can figure how to do it ? Every fliping axle vidéo i found on youtube are not for torflex ! Thanks
Hey Kebbeker, sorry for the late reply. I'm not getting notifications.
Looks like you got your answer though. For anyone else looking for info, here is the link to my mods; Axle flip, soloar install, and extra fresh water tank install:
https://www.funfinderclub.com/forums...uler-4791.html

Roxtar is offline   Reply With Quote