Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2021, 02:21 PM   #1

Default Hitch Weight Way Off!!!

Purchased a trailer tongue weight scale from Canadian company Princess Auto. Finally got the opportunity to try it out and here are the results. Fun finder 2009 18FBS with full water tank, two full 20 lb propane tanks, two 6 volt batteries, weighed in at 300 kgs or 661 lbs! Now my specification sheets for the 18 FBS says 311 lbs tongue weight, the husky towing weight calculator showed 400 lbs tongue weight with all my stuff weighed. A CAT scale weight of trailer showed 3860 lbs fully loaded. Based on the CAT scale calculation my tongue weight is just over 17% ( 10% would be 386 lbs) and I don’t even have everything I need to go camping in it! The only upgrade we made in the front was remove the thin foam mattress on bed and put in one of those mattress that come in a box. What’s ironic about the 18 FBS it’s got this huge, enter from both sides, front cargo storage area that families would normally fill up with lawn chairs, BBQ, etc., etc. I do use a weight distribution hitch.

whatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:24 PM   #2

Well, tongue weight is generally a good thing for trailer stability! Is you water tank in front of the axle so it is adding to the tongue? I always try to carry most of the weight forward because our trailer just feels better than with weight behind the axle. One time we left a campground and the dump station was closed so I was forced to drive many miles with the gray and black tanks full (both behind the axles). It did not handle right!

Old 06-25-2021, 11:01 AM   #3

Two golf cart batteries mounted on the A frame are heavy and not the standard battery type for these trailers. The use of two six volt batteries over a single 12 volt deep cycle battery is adding at least 70 pounds to the hitch. If you are wanting to lighten the hitch weight, consider replacing the two golf cart batteries and only carry one filled propane tank. Those two actions will shave off 120 pounds easy.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatme View Post
Purchased a trailer tongue weight scale from Canadian company Princess Auto. Finally got the opportunity to try it out and here are the results. Fun finder 2009 18FBS with full water tank, two full 20 lb propane tanks, two 6 volt batteries, weighed in at 300 kgs or 661 lbs! Now my specification sheets for the 18 FBS says 311 lbs tongue weight, the husky towing weight calculator showed 400 lbs tongue weight with all my stuff weighed. A CAT scale weight of trailer showed 3860 lbs fully loaded. Based on the CAT scale calculation my tongue weight is just over 17% ( 10% would be 386 lbs) and I don’t even have everything I need to go camping in it! The only upgrade we made in the front was remove the thin foam mattress on bed and put in one of those mattress that come in a box. What’s ironic about the 18 FBS it’s got this huge, enter from both sides, front cargo storage area that families would normally fill up with lawn chairs, BBQ, etc., etc. I do use a weight distribution hitch.
JTA, does your TV have a problem with 7-800 lbs of tongue weight? I have Firestone air bags on my F250.
Old 07-04-2021, 06:53 PM   #5

Also keep in mind, if you’re positioning the scale underneath the jack, you’ll get a different number than under the ball - you distance from center of mass changes. .

I prefer a little more tongue weight myself. Typically 10-15% is considered normal but between water tank in front and waste tanks in back, your tungue weight will always vary.
Old 07-04-2021, 08:32 PM   #6

Trailer weight is always empty and most likely doesn't include the propane tanks. 400 lbs is a good thing. More is better.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:56 AM   #7

One of these will provide you with the tongue weight of your camper.
There are several selection weighting up to 1,000, 2,000, 5,000 pounds.

https://www.amazon.com/Sherline-LM-1...07REJTGI&psc=1
Old 07-25-2021, 02:48 PM   #8

My tongue weight is very excessive as well. I have a single battery, two full propane tanks, and a generator mounted above the tanks and battery. With full water it’s all my 1/2 ton truck can do. The bouncing is terrible even with EQ hitch.

I’ve looked at the water tank and it appears I can relocate the cross braces, they are just screwed in to the frame, and move the water tank back, directly over the two axles. I think that would dramatically change the center of mass and reduce tongue weight.

Ahaling is offline   Reply With Quote