Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2020, 05:53 PM   #1

Default Stuck in the dirt

I was out and about this Sunday, Frazier Park, CA. We were exploring campsites and turned off onto a fire road. Long story short, I got stuck in the dirt and luckily was able to be pulled out by a good Samaritan after a short walk for help. Got lucky I was not miles out on the dirt road.

Has anyone used those nylon straps with the rubber blocks attached to the strap. The device straps to the tire thru the rim and is supposed to help the tire grip in the dirt or mud to get you unstuck?

Old 10-20-2020, 10:29 AM   #2

I've used nylon straps aka tow ropes to pull chevies and fords but ..... what is this thing about straping thru the tires thru the rim? I know what and have used tire chains and seems the cable style for radial tires but not a strap thingy that fastens to the wheel ??

Therefore, obvious not familiar with your referenced product.

Do you have link or photo to post?

How to drive a 4x4: Drive in 2 wheel drive until stuck then put in 4 wheel drive to back out........told to me decades ago.

Old 10-20-2020, 05:43 PM   #3

Eagle, I like those driving instructions! A wise old timer once told me that the acronym "4WD" means "congratulations, you now have the ability to get stuck a quarter mile further in than you would've."

Having said that, I am eagerly following 1kotonk's thread here to see what to do when I get stuck, as I surely will someday.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:34 PM   #4

I have watched several videos of Overlanders and most seem to carry tire traction mats. They use them to get out of muddy areas or where grass makes the going slippery. You can find them on Ebay or 4WD stores. More than only I have thought that I should buy a couple "just in case." I managed to get stuck more than once in my 2WD truck with the factory Ford limited slip and finally installed an Eaton Detroit Truetrac Differential. Since then I have two tires to get me out.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:03 AM   #5

I hope this works, this is the device I am talking about. it has mixed reviews..

https://www.amazon.com/stores/TRACGR...6?ref_=ast_bln
Old 10-21-2020, 12:14 AM   #6

I never thought I would get stuck on a fire road. I've been 4 wheeling with friends for many years. They always explore with two or more vehicle's and have plenty of tow straps, shovels and other tools. This was an learning experience for me, **** HAPPENS..

Do you guys air down your TV tires when your pulling a trailer off road?
Old 10-21-2020, 12:29 AM   #7

Here is a U tube link to check out

Old 10-21-2020, 07:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1kotonk View Post
I hope this works, this is the device I am talking about. it has mixed reviews..

https://www.amazon.com/stores/TRACGR...6?ref_=ast_bln
Thanks for the link. I had not seen those before. Spendy for what they are as easily made with a set of ratchet straps from Northern Wholesale or Harbor Freight and a chunk of rubber or whatever for a 'cleat.'

I have always thought a set of Matt Tracks would be so ideal:
https://mattracks.co/tracks/trucks/

https://www.facebook.com/mattracks

I have only seen one pickup using them... an electrical utility commercial vehicle.

Here in the 'winter snow country' with up to 100" a year, they would be fantastic!
Old 10-21-2020, 09:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
Eagle, I like those driving instructions! A wise old timer once told me that the acronym "4WD" means "congratulations, you now have the ability to get stuck a quarter mile further in than you would've."

Having said that, I am eagerly following 1kotonk's thread here to see what to do when I get stuck, as I surely will someday.
I like those instructions too! I also liked that he's used tow straps in the past to rescue "Fords & Chevys" . Prolly useful for Hondas and Toyotas too !

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:16 AM   #10

Your best thing to do if you know that the road or trail is sand or mud is to air down your tires. The larger the footprint of the tire the better traction you have.
Beachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum View Post
Your best thing to do if you know that the road or trail is sand or mud is to air down your tires. The larger the footprint of the tire the better traction you have.
I suppose that would be fine if one drove a Hummer.

Also don't have an air locker installed in the front differential so don't have an on-board air compressor to air the tires up...nor carry a 12 volt air compressor to do so.

Air down/up tires is not something 99.9% drivers do unless specifically prepped for doing some off road thing frequently like in competition, etc.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
I suppose that would be fine if one drove a Hummer.

Also don't have an air locker installed in the front differential so don't have an on-board air compressor to air the tires up...nor carry a 12 volt air compressor to do so.

Air down/up tires is not something 99.9% drivers do unless specifically prepped for doing some off road thing frequently like in competition, etc.
Well I don’t drive a hummer. But in my 2019 ram bighorn I have and will continue to air down so I will not need someone to pull me out. If you’re going to play off road or on trails you need to be prepared small small plug-in compressor is all you need.
Beachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum View Post
Well I don’t drive a hummer. But in my 2019 ram bighorn I have and will continue to air down so I will not need someone to pull me out. If you’re going to play off road or on trails you need to be prepared small small plug-in compressor is all you need.
Does not apply since I have never 'played' on off roading or trails as this area has neither in the vast majority of the upper midwest farm country.

Maybe a section line when hunting that is 'unimproved' aka a dirt track or across a field that is muddy from recent rain but most likely during/right after a heavy snow fall.

Can't say I've ever heard of a 4x4 driver around here ever 'airing down' and near every farmer has a 4x4 or three.