Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-08-2013, 04:26 AM   #1

Default Towing with a Chev Tahoe

Hello Everyone:
I'm quite new to the RV world. I purchased a pre-owned 2011 Cruiser RV VF 21FB in April. I did as much research as I could and was reassured that my 2012 Chev Tahoe would tow this TT with no problem. While this is generally true on 2 lane roads and suburbdan streets, I'm finding that on the Interstate I cannot exceed 55-60 MPH without feeling quite unstable. The Semi-trucks pull the TT/Tahoe around and I expect that based on what I've read. But even when there's no obvious influence from other trucks, the towing just feels generally unstable. I do have the stabilizer bars and the entire hitch setup was inspected by a reputable dealer. Is the WB on the Tahoe just to short to handle the Viewfinder? Dry weight is supposedly ~4600# and I supposed that with all the load I've added it's closer to 5200#. The Tahoe is rated at 6300#.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Pam

phunter408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #2

Default Towing with Tahoe

phunter408 what type of anti sway bar are you using? Did you tighten it properly? Also, did you tighten the load leveling bars correctly? Is your rig level after tightening the load leveling bars?

Old 06-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
M&M

Default Tahoe

As you say, a longer wheelbase vehicle would likely be more stable. However, you might not want to give up on the Tahoe without some more thought and tinkering.

Are you using a sway control device in addition to the weight equalizing hitch? Depending on the hitch, this may be a separate device from the weight distributing hitch, but is probably essential for your set up.

A trailer is going to change the way any vehicle handles. I think a first order of business is to try and figure out if the tow package is actually unstable or if it is an issue of just getting used to it. You might consider having a person experienced in towing drive the unit to get more input. Also, note that the tires on your RV are likely rated not to exceed 65 miles per hour at the rated pressure, so speeds higher than that would not be recommended.

You could research and post additional information that might help others on this site give input on your issue:
1. How heavy is the Tahoe itself loaded?
2. What is the air pressure in the Tahoe and trailer tires?
3. Does the trailer seem to sit level when hitched to the Tahoe?
4. What it the type and tow rating of the weight distributing hitch?
5. What type of anti- sway device is being used?

Good luck!
Equal-i-zer 600/6000 hitch
M&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #4

Default Towing with a Tahoe

Thanks to Everyone who responded. I definitely appreciate it.
The leveling system is Reese (don't know model #). Up to very recently I thought that those WERE the anti-sway bars. Turns out that they are 'weight distribution' bars. I made a trip to Camping World where they are currently installing an anti-sway bar.
I'll take it out this weekend and we'll see if it helps.

For M&M--here are answers:
1. I don't know the answer to your question. I don't have it excessively loaded with 'stuff' or people. It's me and 2 dogs--plus ordinary luggage and supplies.
2. Tire pressure is ~ 34 psi on all 4 Tahoe tires. I do not know the tire pressure on the trailer.
3. Yes it's level--at least it looks level when I eye-ball it.
4. I will look on the hitch next time I see it--but I think I recall seeing the hitch is ~11,000 lbs.
5. The 'new' Anti-sway will be just a stock item from Camping World; retails for $49.95.

For Gator---since the AntiSway will be new I can't comment on the anti sway. The load leveling bars appear very tight and the trailer/hitch are level.
phunter408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #5

Best on the anti-sway solving your problem.

I did alot of reading on weight distribution hitches before I purchase one and went with the Equal i Zer because it has anti-sway built in.....and it works wonderful. Even in 40 MPH cross winds, never experienced any sway on 2 lane/4 lane meeting or passing any vehicle.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
M&M

phunter408,

I think the anti-sway device may solve or greatly reduce your problem. Assuming it is the friction type, be sure to read the directions as there are some restrictions on backing up and use under certain driving conditions.

The recommended air pressure for your camper should be shown on a decal near the front on the outside of the camper. It is likely about 50 PSI.

I don't see any issues with the rest of the information in your responses.

Good luck and keep us posted.

M&M
Equal-i-zer 600/6000 hitch
M&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #7

The Anti Sway Bar should resolve most of your sway. You will find the occasional extreme towing weather that will still cause you issues. I towed for well over a decade without much issue until last year when I encountered severe weather from a thunderstorm. It lasted for about 20 minutes, but the sway was so intense that I ended up slowing down to about 40 on the highway. I even stopped to check the bar and I couldn't tighten it anymore. Once the storm passed I was good to go again. On my new trailer I just went to a Hensley since the weight is over 7000 lbs. No problems yet.

As far as level is concerned make sure your TV and trailer are level. I drove clear across the US last year from Michigan to LA and back and I there were very few rigs that were level. I couldn't believe the number of people towing without a WD hitch or an incorrect setup.

Good luck!