Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #1

Default FF-139 questions...top bunk??

Hi all. We're new to the forum, and are looking at purchasing a 139 unit. We have a couple of questions, however...

How well does the top bunk accommodate an adult? I weigh 190, so I'm close to the 210 max, and these units are all 8 years old +. Any worries about that? While were at it, how do you get in and out of that bunk?

Exterior issues/delamination? What should we be looking for? Most of these are fiberglass exteriors, and I'm told to watch for delamination. What exactly are we looking for? What else should we be looking for?

How do these handle cold weather? Sometimes well hunt/ camp right into December.

Overall, are there specific things to watch for on these units?

Any help or advise is appreciated...Thank you!

Some background...we've owned small slide-on campers for years...the kind that crank up the last 18" or so. Summer camping and fall hunting trips. We're getting older, and whole process of removing the truck cap and mounting the camper is just getting to be too much hassle. We like the small footprint and the ability to boondock anywhere, but its time to make a change. The 139 seems to fit the bill well.

Setterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:26 AM   #2

The limit on the bunk is 140 pounds, I think -- there should be a sticker on it that says so. We took out our bunk and put in a cargo net to hold bedding when the bed becomes the table!

What year is the trailer? At some point (maybe 2008??), Fun Finder switched to styrofoam insulation in the walls, making the trailer much better in cold weather. Our 2003 unit was not good in sub-feezing temps. Our well-insulated 2012 X139 model is great -- we often camp when the night-time temp is in the mid-20s.

And if you flip the axles and beef up the suspension as much as possible, and get tough tires, the 139 is great for boondocking. Very nimble! Just take it slow over big rocks and potholes.

Old 12-15-2019, 06:30 PM   #3

The sticker on the bunk says 210, so I THINK I'm safe. Year is 2009.
Did you rotate the axles? How difficult/ costly is that?

These unit seem to have quite a following...I've noticed a couple people on here who've owned a couple of them. If you were looking at one, what are the main things you'd check out?

Thanks.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #4

It sounds like your bunk is beefier than mine was -- but I still could not meet that load limit without going on a serious diet!!

We did flip the axle -- the dealership did the work, but a handy person can do it with a little help. I just did not want to take the risk of damaging the undercarriage. I think there are how-to videos on line.

An axle flip will give you several more inches of ground clearance. The downside is that it raises your center of gravity. But I am ok with that, in exchange for better off-pavement clearance.

I am not sure how much it cost -- this was seven years ago. I do recall that it seemed worthwhile at the time, and we have often needed the extra clearance.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:02 AM   #5
APD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setterguy View Post
The sticker on the bunk says 210, so I THINK I'm safe. Year is 2009.
Did you rotate the axles? How difficult/ costly is that?

These unit seem to have quite a following...I've noticed a couple people on here who've owned a couple of them. If you were looking at one, what are the main things you'd check out?

Thanks.
Welcome! I may not be much help as our little rig is a 2005. It came with the 2500# Dexter Torq-Flex axle which we replaced with the 3500# model. It also has no top bunk as ours is the T139FK or front Kitchen. Our kitchen area and wet bath are up front instead of being on the side. This layout had a "twin" bed arrangement in the back. (That we really love.)
If I were looking today I would check the condition of the floors and walls for water damage. The 139's are flat roofs and were subject to leaks if not properly maintained. (Ours has had minor damage in the past and been lovingly repaired.)
After that would be the frame and axle. Look for even tire wear, etc.
Expect to pay a little extra as most people who own these little boogers like 'em a lot.....

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 05:36 PM   #6

Thanks APD. We appreciate the input.
Old 12-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #7

I had a 139 but it always seemed such a pain converting bed to table, so got a 189 with a slide out and I love it. I also boondock mostly, flipped the axles, which really isn't flipping them because they have a bow in them. Lipper sells a kit. I also like the dual axles for boondocking. I also changed out the four brakes with self adjusting ones. I would not go back to a 139 but that is just my preference, otherwise a 139 is a good little camper. Look at age of tires and replace if over 7 years old even if tread is still good.
Rocky Mtn marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:44 PM   #8

marmot, I have loved both of my 139s, but I do not love the single axle! I think a dual is much safer, in case of a blowout.

And the bed-to-table chore gets old right away. But in return, I have a trailer small enough to fit onto our short driveway -- no storage fees!
Old 12-23-2019, 05:39 AM   #9

Default slight Mod

Hi Setter, I have a 2011 FF210 with the bunk. I put my 6-4 teenage son up there with a slight mod. After watching the bunk bow down toward our face when her rolled I added 3 sticks of aluminum angle. I took off the hinge and put 1 on each side of the fold. Had to re set the hinges to accommodate the extra width. I even added more heavy duty hinges. Then I put the last one on the outside rail. They all rest on the angle aluminum that FF put on the walls. It took a ton of bow out and I sleep better.
Prodigy 3
mykidsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:18 AM   #10

Six foot four??? Maybe put the boy in the bed and YOU take the bunk??

Seriously, though, that sounds like a great modification -- hopefully your son will not gain much weight . . . .
Old 12-25-2019, 11:38 PM   #11

In my 2010 189FBR, I moved the bunk up about a foot and converted it into a shelf. After seeing how it was originally attached to the side walls, I wouldn't trust it to hold any more than 50 pounds, especially if I were sleeping under it. If you are really going to use it, make sure the sides rails are secured to the metal or wood framing inside the wall. Mine was not!
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 12:25 AM   #12

I have a 2008 139x, the bunk has a sticker rated at 210 lbs. 210 seems a bit much. one of he sheet metal screws holding the bracket that supports the bunk fell out and the support is not that tight. I probably need to screw a larger screw into the hole and tighten the brackets up. Iam hoping there are metal framing those screws attach to..

I use the top bunk for storage.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:35 PM   #13

We have a 2007 ff139 and love it. Spent 3 months this past summer traveling Route 66. Our top bunk is now cut down supported with an iron bar across for support. We purchased plastic drawers for storage. We ditched the table for 2 pieces of plywood, had 2 cushions made. When we had to use the table we removed one piece of plywood and cushion and used a tv tray. It sure was easier just to fold up the bedding.
We now have a roofing problem due to water infiltration either through the a/c unit as the supports there seem to be collapsing in or the tv antenna. Every year we double checked the caulking but I guess that wasn't good enough. If the repair isn't too expensive we will keep it as we love it.
SueB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:27 PM   #14

Let us know how the roof repair went!! Good luck.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:41 PM   #15

So far estimate to repair is $7200 cdn.
SueB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:40 PM   #16

Ouch. Might not be worthwhile. Very sorry to hear that.