Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2021, 01:33 PM   #1

Default Furnace Rarely Works on 120VAC

My furnace works great on my 2015 242 BDS when I am on battery, however it doesn't want to start up when I am plugged into 120 volts. Any ideas folks? Thank you.

Kei2thehwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:27 PM   #2

There's something else at play here because the furnace runs on 12v. (And propane).
So somerhing to do with your ac/dc converter?

DiverRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:53 AM   #3

Must be something else like Rick says. Power converter ?
Old 01-09-2021, 07:33 PM   #4

Default What type of thermostat?

Suspect it's something like this (I found it on another site, better than I could explain, so I'll use their words.)
Are you switching the switch on the thermostat ON to heat and raising the temp to make the heater come on OR are you switching the other switch, on the thermostat, to FAN ?

The fan setting on the thermostat is for the air conditioner fan and will not work on battery.

The heater had its own seperate fan motor inside it. Switch to HEAT on the thermostat, turn the temp up above the room temp and wait for the heat to come on.
If you have a Dometic Control for the Furnace/AC, here is another piece of info to tuck away.
When you are plugged into shore power and want to run the furnace Without having the AC/Heat Pump Fan come on you need to set the Fan to Auto on the control. Otherwise when the furnace cuts in the AC fan will come on also and blow cool air.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:28 PM   #5

Does it run the fan but not light, or not do anything? If it does not light, are you sure you are getting propane to the furnace? On my trailer, after sitting for a while, it seems to get air in the propane line, and the furnace may time out before it lights. However, if I have used the stove, or had the refrigerator running on propane, that bleeds the air out of the line. Possibly that is your issue, and when on battery your refrigerator has bled out the line. When my RV has been sitting, I go inside, light the stove, which may take a minute, then use other propane powered appliances. And I have leak checked the line a couple times, cannot find anything leaking. My last RV did the same thing.
2018 Chevy Silverado 1500 with 5.3 Max Tow package
Dleit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei2thehwy View Post
My furnace works great on my 2015 242 BDS when I am on battery, however it doesn't want to start up when I am plugged into 120 volts. Any ideas folks? Thank you.
Bizarre... I’d start with the fuses, sometimes (rarely) one is week. And if not that, the inverter (like one of the other members mentioned).

Agnitio is offline   Reply With Quote