Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2021, 02:30 PM   #1

Default Tornado black water tank cleaner

I hate flushing the blackwater tank in my trailer. I am thinking of adding one of those tornado tank cleaners. It requires drilling a hole in the tank and silicone gluing the tornado cleaner into the tank. There is a hose attached to the tornado cleaner then to a bracket where I can connect a water hose to fill/clean the tank.

The way I do it now is stick one of those long PVC pipes that attaches to a water hose down the toilet to fill/clean the tank.

That tornado cleaner doohickey seems kind of cheap and Id hate for that thing to start leaking waste some where when I am out and about.

Anyone install one or have any experiences?

Old 03-25-2021, 03:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1kotonk View Post
I hate flushing the blackwater tank in my trailer. I am thinking of adding one of those tornado tank cleaners. It requires drilling a hole in the tank and silicone gluing the tornado cleaner into the tank. There is a hose attached to the tornado cleaner then to a bracket where I can connect a water hose to fill/clean the tank.

The way I do it now is stick one of those long PVC pipes that attaches to a water hose down the toilet to fill/clean the tank.

That tornado cleaner doohickey seems kind of cheap and Id hate for that thing to start leaking waste some where when I am out and about.

Anyone install one or have any experiences?
Our trailer came with such a cleanout with a separate hose fitting mounted on the side of the trailer near the fresh water connection. It works slick and seems to push all of the waste toward the drain connection on the tank. It seems much better than the wands we have previously used.

Old 03-27-2021, 12:04 PM   #3

My camper/toy hauler cane with a black water flush system.
that has always done a good job IMO.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:38 PM   #4

I've just begun using a FloJet macerator when we get home -- it rinses the tank. We also have a built-in outside rinse port.

Those PVC wands look like they would do the job, but then you have to somehow take the wand out of the toilet and bring it out of the trailer without dripping anything.

Maybe park a bucket next to the toilet, put the end of the wand in the bucket, and then take them both outside??
Old 04-04-2021, 02:20 PM   #5

Before drilling any holes, I’d look into what kind of material the trailer tank is manufactured out of. Some types of plastics like HDPE or UHMW are hard to get decent adhesion to - even with silicone.

And then consider whether the installation lends itself to maintenance or replacement of the sprayer fails. You don’t want to get stuck with a useless hole in your tank.
Old 04-04-2021, 03:50 PM   #6

I installed a tornado tank rinser several years ago and am very pleased with it. I have a clear 45 degree fitting I use to connect my sewer hose so I can see when the flow is clear. While I have no way of knowing if the bottom of the tank is completely clear we have have no odor issues since installing it, which was easy. There is no evidence of any leaks. I think it is a good aftermarket solution to those of us without built-in rinsers.

Ron
RonCronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:08 PM   #7

RonCronk, thanks. That's good to know. The reviews seem good, I think I am going to pull the trigger and give it a try. I hate the process I am using now to fill the tank to clean it.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:04 PM   #8

I chickened out, I am going to look for a system that just fills the tank with water. I don't need the little spinning nozzle.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:30 PM   #9

My camper came with the black tank flush system that works well. However, when the camper is going to sit at home for a few weeks without moving, I will run a water hose into the stool and completely fill the black water tank and let it sit. I figure anything stuck to the walls of the tank will have an opportunity to soften/dissolve and then before making an outing, dump the black water tank at a local dump site not far away....and flush with the black tank flush system. The clean adapter shows little to nothing flushing out plus the tank sensors work well.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:56 PM   #10

Eagle, interesting I never thought of leaving the BWT full in storage after dumping the BWT.

That makes sense, I can see a lot of the solids that were not drained during the initial draining would liquify and the sensors being cleared of dissolved toilet paper of waste. I am going to try that the next time I go out. I don't think my sensors have ever worked for more than two trips or uses in a row they always show 3/4 full.

Man drilling a hole in the BWT and gluing a cheap made in China plastic part to flush the tank is scary. I guess I am going to just order whatever different types of in tank flusher they sell on Amazon. Ill physically handle it and look at it, If I don't like it, Ill return it. I find something that feels and looks sturdy, hopefully.