Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2020, 08:18 PM   #1

Default Filling fresh water tank

When I fill my fresh water tank with water, do I need to fill the hot water tank as well? If so, where?
Thanks!

Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
When I fill my fresh water tank with water, do I need to fill the hot water tank as well? If so, where?
Thanks!

If you are relying 100% on the fresh water holding tank then you will fill the hot water tank using the electric water pump. Do NOT turn on the water tank heater heater until you know the tank is full though! (Run a hw tap until all the air is forced out)

DiverRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:39 AM   #3

Thanks! So I fill my tank, turn on the pump. How do I run a hot water tap? Turn on hot water at the sink and bathroom?
Old 05-04-2020, 01:17 PM   #4

Yep. Turn on the water faucet in the sink. It will sputter for a minute and then will run properly. That's when you know all the air is out of the system.

And I am not sure whether you have to run the pump or can just hook up to the city water. But I have always done this with the pump on, pumping from the fresh water tank, so I know for sure that that method works fine.

One more thought -- I know what you are thinking -- "how could I have asked such a dumb question -- of course you just run the water in the sink." Well, let me tell you, it is not a dumb question. If you are unsure about something, just ask. We were all newbies once, and I made quite a few mistakes because I was afraid to ask. Don't censor your own questions!!

(Plus answering questions gives us old guys something to do, especially these days.).
Old 05-04-2020, 01:36 PM   #5

Haha. Yea another old guy with too much xtra time......

Just to add one more thing to Prof's answer, do this (Run a hot water tap) while you are filling the fresh water tank. It means 6 more gals that you'll have in the holding tank after getting rid of the air.
DiverRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:37 PM   #6

I have to fill my fresh water tank from the gravity fill point, should city water from a connected hose fill fresh water and hot water tanks automatically.
wishuwerehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:52 PM   #7

Thank you so much! We are really enjoying our funfinder. Heading out Thursday for another trip. God bless.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:10 PM   #8

Nice! Very good advice never thought about that.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:28 PM   #9

wishuwerehere, I don't think that the city water will automatically fill your hot water tank unless you first open a hot water tap. (I am pretty sure that's true, but not positive, since I have never done it that way.). My reason for thinking that is that if there is no faucet open in the hot water system while you are in the process of filling it, then you will have back-pressure due to the air in the hot water tank.

So opening a faucet allows that air to escape, which then permits water to flow into the hot water tank. Once the faucet stops sputtering, all the air has been purged from the hot water tank, replaced by cold water (soon to be hot water, if your water heater ignites successfully).

I know for sure that the city water connection will not fill your cold fresh water tank -- it bypasses the tank.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:01 PM   #10
APD

The fresh water tank has to be gravity filled. The pump has a one-way valve to prevent the city water from entering the fresh water tank from the pump side when hooked up to the campground water supply. It would over pressurize the tank.
By the same token, the city water connection has a one-way valve to prevent the pump from pushing water out of the connection when you're not hooked to campground water and are using the tank and pump.
The water heater (and all the fixtures) are common to both.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 05:13 AM   #11

Goof info, thank you for sharing,

wishuwerehere is offline   Reply With Quote