Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #1

Default Roofs on new Fun Finders - Questions and picture:

Hello;

I just purchased a new Fun Finder 210 UDS.

First: Does anyone know how the roofs are constructed? What kind of materials are used? I think the tops are vinyl, but what exactly is underneath? If a vinyl top, do you see a problem?

Second, the following link shows that the roof panels on my trailer don't meet at the joint, as one is raised about 1/8 of an inch. My fear is the edge will work its way through the top, introducing water damage. My questions are, would you be concerned about this? And, do you know what the top of your trailers look like?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

ZZSPIRAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #2

The industry standard is EPDM over a wood composite under-layment over wood or aluminum rafters and stringers with boxed openings for vents, skylights, A/C, etc. I don't know for sure what the new FunFinder roofs are, but, I suspect they are the same (my old '08 210WBS was). It (EPDM) has been around for ages and is very reliable and cost effective. Life expectancy is 10-20 years with most lasting even longer with proper maintenance and care.

As for the raised edge you have...would I be concerned? Yep.

There are thickness variances in the composite (whether chipboard or plywood), but, those thickness variances are usually measured on the order of a 32nd of an inch, not in 8ths of an inch... I would be concerned that the under-layment is not attached to a stringer or rafter, but, floating in the air or that there has already been a water incursion and the under-layment is warped or swollen. Even on new trailers, it isn't unusual to have a small, localized "bubble" in the EPDM, that's the nature of the beast and is not a cause for alarm, however, that large a raised edge in the under-layment would give rise to concern for me. I'd have it looked at while it is still under warranty. If they say that it is a "variance in thickness", get it in writing as such and that they'll be responsible in the future for hidden damage if it in fact was caused by water incursion.

And, yes, I know what the top my trailer looks like I go up there in the spring and in the fall (waking her up and putting her to bed) and periodically during the season for other reasons. The roof is the only thing protecting the contents from the "great outdoors", just as in your sticks and bricks. The roof, protrusions (plastic degrades over time and becomes brittle and cracks) and the sealant should all be inspected at least annually, preferably more often.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #3

It didn't dawn on me it might not be attached to a frame.

I don't see a bubble of any kind. The vinyl top is loose, as it's only attached at the edges, not in the middle. In the picture I'm pressing down on the vinyl to show the variance.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #4

BTW Webslave, thanks for the great response.

I received an immediate response to my email to the manufacturer. I don't know if the dealer had previously forwarded my other emails, for which there are plenty. At any rate, the guy was really polite. It wasn't either a negative or a positive response, though a response was certainly appreciated. Basically, I asked a few questions, and he promised to get back to me.

Hopefully this is coming to an end. If all goes well this should be a really nice trailer. I owned an 08 Fun Finder that was very well built, but the new one has a lot more gadgets, and some nice upgrades, like an improved underpanel.