Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2017, 07:59 PM   #1

Post Sway Bar/Brake Controller Question

We have a Dodge Ram 1500 and a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Do we need the sway bar and brake controller for both???

Teri&Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:28 PM   #2

Can't answer your question, but someone will respond soon. I just wanted to say welcome and remember, there are no dumb questions asked and everyone has been a newbie.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:36 PM   #3

Welcome, First of all what size travel trailer are you pulling and I assume you are going to pull it with both vehicles. Silverado
Old 05-30-2017, 08:36 PM   #4

Default Thank you!

We couldn't be happier with our tiny 139! We looked at many, many campers...some small to quite large. A friend had this little jewel and decided to sell her! We haven't looked back!! We are both in love with it!!! Working on mods and replacing the ragged awning...but otherwise ready to roll! Sooooo glad to have found this forum!!

Thanks!!!
Old 05-30-2017, 08:37 PM   #5

We have the 139
Old 05-30-2017, 08:51 PM   #6

Default 1960 lbs dry weight

If it was me I would have both on, here in Canada I believe any thing over 2000 lbs requires a brake controller.Once you are loaded you will be over that mark. I would hate to have an accident and have my insurance void because of no Brake controller. The truck should not need the sway control but it up to you. Silverado
Old 05-30-2017, 09:19 PM   #7

Thank you
Old 05-30-2017, 11:23 PM   #8

Fortunately, there are some brake controllers out there that are plug in types. I use a Protigy P2 controller and have setup two vehicles with pig tails that are compatible with the controller, so all I need to do is plug it in and go. Of course, if you do this, you will still need to wire each vehicle with a 7 pin connector for the electric brake.

As for the sway bar, if you have a friction sway bar type, it will be between the ball mount and trailer so it is directly transferable between vehicles. Same with a WDH if you need one.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:11 AM   #9
Site Team

You will need a brake controller. Most likely your state law will require it. Towing a 139 with a Dodge 1500 you may or may not need a weight distributing hitch, although it's probably a good idea. Probably don't need anti-sway although some WD hitches come with it built in. I have a 210 and 1500 Chevy and don't use anti-sway.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:51 AM   #10

IF you decide to go with a WD hitch, I'd highly recommend the Equalizer ....winner 5 years in a row of users choice in Trailer Life magazine.

Equal-i-zer® Hitch - The “American Original” with 4-Point Sway Control™ and Weight Distribution
Old 05-31-2017, 09:12 AM   #11

I have a trunnsion style fastway e2 weight distribution hitch with built in swag control. Made by the same company as the equalizer but significantly less expensive.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teri&Joe View Post
We have a Dodge Ram 1500 and a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Do we need the sway bar and brake controller for both???
Not sure if this answers:

The initial need for a controller and load distributing/sway control hitch is more a decision based on the size/weight of your trailer, regardless of the towing vehicle.

Having said that, if you are asking if you need two of everything, then you will find yes, you need a "control box" for the brake controller installed on each vehicle you plan to tow with.

On the other hand, with respect to the sway bars/weight distributing hitches, most have all their hardware attached to the trailer itself. Some is installed to the ball hitch assembly, which is easily switched back and forth between vehicles. So you only need one of these. (This is assuming both vehicles have the hitch ball receiver type hitch where you can slide the hitch ball on and off.)

Hope that helps.

PS: +one on the Equalizer!
Old 06-03-2017, 05:07 PM   #13
APD

Talking

Hi Teri&Joe.
Never used or needed a WD hitch on our 139. It's only around 200 pounds of tongue weight. We do use a friction type sway control.
A good brake control is needed on both vehicles.

We occasionally travel with our T139 up around your home base of Cosby and brakes are very much needed there on those curvey mountain two lanes.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by APD View Post
Hi Teri&Joe.
Never used or needed a WD hitch on our 139. It's only around 200 pounds of tongue weight. We do use a friction type sway control.
A good brake control is needed on both vehicles.

We occasionally travel with our T139 up around your home base of Cosby and brakes are very much needed there on those curvey mountain two lanes.
Thank you so much!!! Loving our 139...perfect little camper...sooooo fun! Come see us sometime!!!
Old 10-14-2020, 03:42 PM   #15

Good afternoon- thanks for asking about this. I have similar questions for a 139.

I will receive the trailer tomorrow (seller is delivering to my house), and plan to tow it with a Mazda B4000 SE truck (4L/V6). The truck has the factory tow package and is rated to tow up to 6000 lbs.

I have upgraded the electrical to 7 pin and installed the electric brake controller.

Questions:
Will I need a weight hitch distribution system (specs for 139 say it weighs 200 lbs)
Will I need a sway control system or is one built in to the factory hitch?

Thanks!
WaltzingMatilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:19 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltzingMatilda View Post
Questions:
Will I need a weight hitch distribution system (specs for 139 say it weighs 200 lbs)
Will I need a sway control system or is one built in to the factory hitch
Maybe, or maybe not. Measure the height from the center of the rear fender to the ground. Then hook up the trailer and measure again. If it's more than an inch (IIRC) lower, then you likely will need a weight distribution hitch.

As for sway control, no it's not built into the factory hitch. This is more a matter of choice. If everything is set up correctly you probably don't need it. Some weight distribution hitches do come with it built in as well if you end up going that route.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:01 AM   #17

Thank you- I appreciate your help.
WaltzingMatilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:18 PM   #18

I respectfully disagree that sway control is not needed. Yes, weight distribution is overkill for a 139. But a friction sway bar is very low-tech insurance against sway. Why not play it safe??
Old 10-17-2020, 08:31 AM   #19
Site Team

Having sway control certainly doesn't hurt anything, and if it makes you feel better by all means go for it. But I don't have sway control and haven't ever felt the need. Even towing in high winds or when the tractor trailers go flying by.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:42 AM   #20

It's true that a properly set-up small trailer probably won't sway.

But is there any downside to having a sway bar on a little trailer? I certainly understand not having a weight distribution setup for a little trailer -- it's expensive, and a bit of a hassle, and some experts (which I am not) say that WD does not work on a very small trailer.

But I view a sway bar the same way I view my belt -- my pants probably won't fall down, but the belt ensures that they won't.