Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2019, 11:51 PM   #1

Smile Toilet Tricks

Leave it to me to post a thread about mundane things....here goes.

These RV toilets can be annoying. Used to be, every time I took a dump, there was always... annoying residue left on the inside side walls of the toilet. I tried lots of things to prevent it or wash it down. I tried various levels of water in the bowl. I tried multiple flushing. Finally, I just bought a brush at the Dollar Tree and hid it behind the toilet. After a nasty BM, I would flush, then add a little water, then brush, then flush again......come on....admit it....you have been there.

My wife came up with this little TRICK three RV trips ago. I have been perfecting it ever since.....here it is.... give it a flush and see if it works for you.

Before you do your business, add a very small amount of water to the bowl. Next take a strip of TP about 5 sheets long, maybe 4....experiment. Place the strip in the bowl cross wise so it covers the hole and extends up the bowl a little on both sides. Next, take another strip the same length and place it cross wise to the first strip, making a "Plus" sign with the two strips. Again...cover the hole and allow the paper to extend a little up the front and back of the bowl. If you use too much water, the trick will not work as well...just use a tiny bit of water at first.

Now sit down and give it you best shot....fill that puppy up. When you are done, add water to the mess so it almost covers the dross. Then...FLUSH!!!

On our RV trip this week, I used this trick with every relief. It flushed clean every time except for once when I ended up with only a tiny amount to brush away. I've been using this trick ever since my wife first mentioned it....it works great!

Now that I am over 70, I am finally potty trained....imagine that.

You got any potty tricks that you wish to share..... here is a thread for it.

Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:41 PM   #2

Hey Chirpz,

Thanks for bringing up a difficult subject! I think we all experience this issue in one way or another and deal with it in various ways!

Thanks for sharing...... I think.....

Old 08-13-2019, 04:03 PM   #3

Wow - sounds like a lot of work to poop. I just have a toilet brush next to the throne and use it with some water. Plus less toilet paper in the black tank - while I use regular tp - some owners go with the expensive biodegradable RV tissue paper. . .
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:35 PM   #4

I never used anything but RV specific TP ... pretty cheap at wallyworld and other places too. For the few bucks difference in a year, it's not an issue.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner421 View Post
Wow - sounds like a lot of work to poop. I just have a toilet brush next to the throne and use it with some water. Plus less toilet paper in the black tank - while I use regular tp - some owners go with the expensive biodegradable RV tissue paper. . .
Well it is extra effort so if you are in a hurry, just go for it. I still keep my brush handy, but rarely need it anymore. We use Charmin.
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:45 PM   #6

I grew up with a cesspool rather than a "modern" septic tank or city sewer. Since my dad worked for Scott Paper, we always used ScotTissue. Today, they advertise "safe for septic systems," but Scott's regular one-ply toilet paper has always dissolved perfectly well in a cesspool. That experience, plus a little engineering knowledge, taught me that it will work just fine in an RV tank.

Now if I can just get the other members of the tribe not to use half a roll per wipe, we can realize the cost savings, too ...
2013 GMC Sierra
NorthPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:31 AM   #7

Default Happy bowls

We stumbled onto a product called a Happy Bowls. Made for RVs, a tissue like liner that easily sits/lines the toilet when it’s that time. No delicate way to describe them other than to say it catches the dump, easily flushes, quickly disintegrates and takes the mess out of the business. Plus you can announce that you’re off to make a happy bowl. Highly recommended
hafenbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:55 AM   #8

Just tossing this into the discussion -

Once I get home from an outing, I take a garden hose into the camper and fill the grey water tank (run water into the tub or the kitchen sink) and also the black water tank (run water into the stool while holding the flush pedal down) so both tanks are full. Then I make the 2 miles run the local city park that has a free dump station, dump the black tank, the grey water tank and use the built in black tank flush port.

It helps to clean the interior of both tanks, then add a little water and tank treatment to both tanks so ready for the next venture.

« Fridge | Mattress »